Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Five week stall finaly BROKEN!!!!!!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=129100)

Arie Fri, Aug-08-03 10:22

Five week stall finaly BROKEN!!!!!!!

It finally happened! After a stall of 5 weeks I started losing weight again. I was very frustrating few weeks during which I could calibrate scales with my weight because it did not MOVE one single pound. I weigh my self every morning first thing, and I was 226.5lb morning after morning, it was so consistent that I though the scale was broken and stuck on this weight.
During the 5 weeks I have tried everything: I have tried 2 days of carbs "to shake the system", and Nothing! I have tried eating less and Nothing!, I have tried eating more, and Nothing! I was at a point where I was resigned to the fact that I may lose very little weight, but since I feel so well with this WOE, I have decided that no matter what, I will continue this for the rest of my life.
Well, this Monday I weighed my self and a pound was gone, "a fluke" I say to my self, Wednesday another pound is gone, and today another pound and a half is gone... Three and a half pounds in one week!!

Conclusion: Stalls are part of the process of losing weight.
I am not sure what's the physiology behind it, but it seems that if you lose weight fat, the body figures out how to protect its fuel reserves, but apparently not for long.. and then you lose weight again.
I read posts from people beating themselves for stalling; "It the caffeine", "its the diet drinks", "its the Atkins bars"....I can tell you from my personal experience that I do drink coffee, I eat an occasional bar, and I drink diet drinks (diet coke) by the ton. I do believe that coffee will slow my weight lose because I know it increases craving for me, but I like it so much that I rather lose a bit slower then give it up...

some stats: I started low carb eating on Jan 2002 (285lb+) with a rigorous workout schedule and by May 2003 I have lose 30+ pounds. On May 1st '03 I started Atkins, and today I am 32lb lighter. All together I have lost 62lb and gained muscle mass, strength and stamina. If you want to see what it looks like, take a look at my pictures (see link in my signature)..

harleydee Fri, Aug-08-03 10:26

CONGRATULATIONS on breaking your stall!!! :yay: :dazzle: :yay:

It was frustrating I'm sure but at least you stuck with it and now you will see the results. :thup:

Good luck!!

Alina Fri, Aug-08-03 10:27

Congratulations!

I know how good it feels, I lose with 6-8 weeks breaks....that's the way it goes.

Quote:
Conclusion: Stalls are part of the process of losing weight.

AMEN. As soon as we accept it we spare ourselves lots of stress and frustration.... as long as we are doing things right the weight will come off. With time........... :rolleyes:

Enjoy!!!

Alina

Great pictures by the way - fantastic progress....

Ruthless Fri, Aug-08-03 10:33

Good for you! I know how it feels to get the scale moving again! I just went through a 4 1/2 week stall, so I can relate. Thanks for the post and all the great things you had to say. It will help me the next time I stall to not go crazy looking and searching and being miserable. I now know that I need to continue what I am doing and wait out the stall.

Congratulations!

Ruthy

asalvato Fri, Aug-08-03 10:34

I agree with you. If a person is eating more carbs or eating more calories, then "maybe" cutting back with result is more loss; but if you are sticking to a reasonable number of carbs and calories, it is a question of time and the body getting to the point where it lets go of the fat.

I have always lost weight in steps. I lose, stay the same (or even gain) for a long time, then suddenly lose again. I have learned that as long as I am following the plan, eventually the scale will go down.

I worry a bit about the folks who low carb and expect to see hugh losses, really rapid losses, and consistent weekly losses. As soon as things slow down they cry "stall" and start trying all kinds of crazy things.

I truly believe that one must adopt a new WOE, not a diet, and learn to relax and enjoy the journey. Be honest and if you are increasing your carbs and calories, then you need to reevaluate your plan if you want to continue to lose. If you are following the plan, you need to give it some time and I think that means at least 6 months.

I am not losing quickly and I am not losing consistently but I am eating well, not feeling deprived, have no desire to "cheat" and know that I have found my WOE for life.

As long as I can maintain my weight, I am willing to go back to induction periodically for a week or two to lose another pound or two.

Glad to hear your success. It may take time (and more time that you anticipated) but sticking with this WOE will eventually get you down to the weight you want to be.

jers52 Fri, Aug-08-03 10:36

great advice! I'm saving this post to reread during my next plateau.

terrahawk Sat, Aug-09-03 20:38

I appreciated your post Arie. After 3 months of losing weight on Atkins, I've been stalled with +/- 1 or 2 pound changes for the past month.

I've been a consistent coffee drinker as well. As you mentioned, I was wondering whether to blame the diet drinks because I've been trying a few different ones, but I've been drinking Pepsi One since I started Atkins. I'll be patient and see how the next month goes.

Peter

red1cutie Sat, Aug-09-03 20:48

Arie, this should be a sticky!

Moral: If we stick to this WOL, be patient & exercise the weight loss will continue and the stall will end.

Well said. Congrats on breaking your stall! Good luck on the rest of your journey.

Peace
red

Tim_In_VA Sun, Aug-10-03 06:10

Thanks, Arie - - I needed that.

Coming to this bulletin board is a lot like attending an AA meeting: it's hard sometimes to get motivated to show up, but when I do, I always seem to hear the message I need in order to strengthen my program.

After a quick drop of about 20 pounds in five weeks, I have stalled in a big way. I'm in week 4 at 220, and I have to bounce up and down on the scale to be sure the gears aren't stuck. I know I could do better wtih regard to consumption of caffeinated drinks and - - my real downfall - - nuts. Otherwise, though, I'm sticking to the program quite well. I'm exercising more than ever (vigorous walking or biking every day, and some weight lifting) and getting better at water consumption. I feel better than I've felt in years.

I'm starting to feel just a little discouraged, but I'm going to keep the faith and look for the "break" that others here say will happen. I keep telling myself it took a long time for me to become uncomfortably overweight, and it will take a while to reach that ideal BMI. I'm having to fight with metabolic resistance from a tricyclic drug, but that's something I'll have to live with and get over. Anyway, thanks for the motivation!

Velvet Sun, Aug-10-03 06:28

Arie, you are a legend!

Everyone, thanks for your posts, you have given me hope!

Maddi Sun, Aug-10-03 13:15

Ari you are looking very very good! I appreciate what you have said about the stalls as I have been one of those beating myself up and getting discouraged. I have been on a plateau now for nearly 6 weeks but slipped into ketosis surprisingly a few days ago (? I changed nothing) and expect now I will drop weight again. I see a half pound so far but I don't count unless it is a whole pound.

The thing is I am comfortable eating the way I am and exercising as much as I am so that is a good thing. However, it is a marvellous summer so easy to get out on the bike and walking trails. Come winter I have to figure out how to stay active since x-cty skiing just doesn't grab me tho I have tried. I may be confined to an indoor exercise bike--boring.

gawdess Sun, Aug-10-03 14:55

Wow Arie!! Looking good! Congrats on breaking the stall...I agree with you totally , my body is fighting weight loss totally! I just keep telling myself to be patient

60sChild Sun, Aug-10-03 16:38

Arie...how many carbs per day?

You mentioned that you had not done anything different...how many carbs per day on average were you doing?

The reason I ask is that I want to add a few per day (been on induction for 4 weeks...lost 21 lbs so far) as suggested in DANDR, but am scared to death to do so (Atkins is the only way I found to lose that has worked for me...ever).

Went out on a limb yesterday and added about 5 carbs...no ill effects yet...still in ketosis.

Just curious.

By the way...you look GREAT! Congrats on breaking your stall!

S

candyluver Sun, Aug-10-03 18:02

Arie, congrats! good 4 you :) You look Great,btw..
My weight loss has been so slow I almost gave up a time or two. You're post is inspirational. I recently starting using the treadmill...and lifting hand weights..nothing much, but better then nothing at all :p
Thanks for sharing your success with us :)

Arie Sun, Aug-10-03 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sChild
You mentioned that you had not done anything different...how many carbs per day on average were you doing?

I am still in induction (3.5 month) if have days where I go above 20g and there are days that I stay well below 20g.

The days I go over is because I eat a bit more cheese, or sour cream or such. But I stick with induction foods.