Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Not ONE thing to eat at school function! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=111564)

Shellyf34 Thu, Jun-05-03 18:09

Not ONE thing to eat at school function!

So, today was my seven-year-old's little play and "social" in his classroom, and I had been voluteered to bring chips and dip (I was fine with that). It was very sweet with all the tables set outside, and there was not one suitable thing for me to eat OR drink! There was fruit, cupcakes, Oreos, french fries, taquitos spinah dip (anyone got a spoon) and french bread, sparkling cider and juice. WHERE WAS THE VEGGIE PLATTER????

Now I am usually not too loud about what I eat. But I had to say something to one of the other mothers (well a couple of them stuffing bread chunks into their mouths).

I said, "Gosh, if I had some Pork Rinds I could eat some of that spinach dip..."

Blank Stares.

And the very overweight mom who had brought the dip and bread (with her little plate OVERFLOWING with bread chunks) says to me, "Oh yeah, that would be VERY lowfat! " (snicker snicker)

I look her over and say, "I guarantee that eating THAT dip with THAT bread will make you a heck of lot fatter than eating it with Pork Rinds!"

Again, blank stares.

Then I mumbled something about my current diet being 60% fat, how much weight I was losing, and that those oreos they were stuffing in their mouths were basically cream-centered heart attacks. Yuck Poo...

I figured this was maybe not the most appropriate venue, stepped off my soapbox and slunk inside to sit in my wee-sized chair to wait for the play...HMPH!

Afterwards I treated myself to TWO double cheeseburgers from Burger King, sans buns or ketchup! Take that!

~Shelly

wils Thu, Jun-05-03 18:24

Love your sense of humour!!! Needless to say I carry a couple of cheese strings in my purse for just such occasions, or eat before I go just in case. It's just a shame that the rest of the world doesn't get it, ( YET)!!!

paradise Thu, Jun-05-03 18:49

Your post cracked me up (oreos as cream-centered heart attacks, LOL)!!! Was it a REAL surprise that there was nothing LC appropriate at the school function? All the other mothers probably thought they were doing well in bringing "what they considered" to be low-fat foods to the function. Glad you figured it wasn't the most appropriate venue, because it sounds like anything you would've said would have fallen on deaf ears or at least garnered you more blank stares. After years and years of the low-fat/low-cal lies pounded into our heads - we know the truth now. Just always eat prior to a function such as that or carry a snack. Good luck on your LC journey!!!

Shellyf34 Thu, Jun-05-03 18:52

What was funny was that there wasn't anything lowfat there except the fruit and juice! It was all a bunch of junk and sweets!!! That is what really chapped my hide! :D

~shelly

HeidiN Thu, Jun-05-03 19:02

Here you have my everyday...

I go to school with my LC food (which would not be my first choice of food if I had a choice :D ) and watch everyone eles chow down on pizza, brownies w/ chocolate icing, tons of french fries, ice cream and sugar filled sodas at lunch. Then it's off to life skills where we make either cup cakes with icing (I have to make them to get a grade, then I get to watch everyone eles eat them!), cookies, milkshakes, or some other high carb treats. Yes, I watch and make the food while everyone eles eats those delicious cup cakes with melt-in-your-mouth icing.

That is my everyday life. Great, huh? :( :thdown:

atleast I'm losing weight, right? :) :( :) :(

Lisa N Thu, Jun-05-03 19:13

Quote:
Then it's off to life skills where we make either cup cakes with icing (I have to make them to get a grade, then I get to watch everyone eles eat them!), cookies, milkshakes, or some other high carb treats.

No offense, but please tell me they plan to teach you how to make at least some real food instead of fast-food-at-home food.

Sheesh..I've been cooking for 30 years and I can't remember the last time I made a milkshake. Cookies...maybe around Christmas and cakes only for birthdays. The rest of the time, I cook other stuff. If they want to teach you "life" skills, how about some instruction on how to prepare and roast a chicken or pot roast or maybe some tips on safe food handling or how to grocery shop to get the best buys for your money? Or maybe a short lecture on seasonings might be helpful so you'll know the difference between tarragon and thyme and which dishes would benefit from either.
Cookies, cakes and milkshakes are tasty, but you can't live a healthy life eating just those.

HeidiN Thu, Jun-05-03 19:22

well Lisa... unfortunately they dont teach us how to do that kind of stuff. It's sad, but what can I do about it? My teacher is a little on the "slow" side. :o

gerriz Thu, Jun-05-03 19:29

Well school must be almost out for the summer now, just wait until you go back for something in the fall and they see how great you can look eating "pork rinds". Hang in there.

justcindy Thu, Jun-05-03 19:37

Shelly,
What a cute story! LOL I love it!
My daughters school had a Food Fest last week and one lady brought low carb cupcakes, my girl tried one and said YUCK. LOL So I am pretty sure they were low carb. LOL Another woman brought in low carb cakes! I was really surprised someone did that! Times are changing......

etoiles Thu, Jun-05-03 19:58

Welcome to my world...

the world of vegetarian low carbism where there really is nothing to eat at functions or even most restaurants. Because this diet is pretty picky (especially for me) I always make it my own responsibility to bring something low carb so I have at least one thing I can eat. Restaurants are hard though, since an item is vegetarian they replace the meat with a carb such as pasta or rice...

bostongirl Thu, Jun-05-03 20:11

I was away the last three days for business. There are 7 of us from work on Atkins and we felt so deprived. The breakfast was continental (bagels and OJ), lunch was pasta....they did serve us chicken for dinner but it was breaded!!!! When will the world be ATKINS friendly??? So glad to be home!!