Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   On induction and Can't Eat 20 carbs/day (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=162114)

shabrianna Sun, Jan-25-04 04:33

On induction and Can't Eat 20 carbs/day

I can't seem to eat 20 grams of carbs per day. I eat eggs, 2 cups of salad, and then mostly meat. What should I do, short of eating all day. Should I keep celery stalks around? I've been eating between 1200 and 1800 calories/day. I would eat more salad, but I want to follow induction properly. I know I shouldn't worry about calories, but I heard too many calories can cause you to stall. I want to avoid stalling. How can I up my carbs w/o upping my calories too much?

tampa_girl Sun, Jan-25-04 06:45

Add a veggie. In addition to the 2 cups of salad a day, 1 cup of broccoli or green beans would be allowed.

Aysiama Sun, Jan-25-04 07:06

Add 1 cup of other veggie like tampa_girl said and don't forget to count the carbs in your salad dressing, cheeses, and any cream you may use.

djcarbno Sun, Jan-25-04 11:46

I too have had a problem coming up to 20 carbs a day - I sometimes add half an avacado. I have started using more dressing on my salads to up it also.

Kristine Sun, Jan-25-04 12:16

Hi. :wave: I would add some greens since it sounds like you're not getting any dairy. Greens are a decent source of calcium. Think spinach, kale, broccoli, etc. :thup:

As long as you're getting your veggies, you're probably fine. :thup: Usually when we encourage people to get their 20 g, it's because they're "spending" their carbs on a little too much cream, cheese, coffee, etc and not eating enough veggies. Part of your 20 g allowance is for those kinds of things, so if you're skipping them, it's no problem. :thup:

gilibel Sun, Jan-25-04 16:58

Please don't stare yourself blind on "cups" of sallad. It's not a RULE, it's just a recommendation (in order to make people eat ENOUGH veggies and not too little of them, as I see it.) "Cup" measures are so inreliable anyway, it totally depends on the shape of the veggie etc. I weigh them instead. The important thing is to have most of your carbs coming from veggies and to stick to 20g carbs a day. :)

Also, veggies are pretty low in kcals. I don't think I ever heard about anyone stalling from "too many veggies". ;) It's the dairy, cheese, LC bars and shakes and too small a water intake that seem to do that dang trick.

shabrianna Tue, Jan-27-04 03:50

Thanks for helping me you guys. Iprefer oil and vinegar on my salad, but I will start putting Salad dressing. I could eat veggies all day long!! So, what if I up my servings to 4 c per day? Is that ok?

gilibel Tue, Jan-27-04 06:44

Oil and vinegar - or especially oil, is the ideal "salad dressing", less carbs more fat.

Your servings of veggies should be determined by amount of carbs really, and not volume measures, IMO. As long as you stay within 20g netcarbs daily on Induction (and count all carbs you eat of course, not only the veggies) you can eat as many veggies you want.

:)

djcarbno Tue, Jan-27-04 18:25

I have just found the greatest veggie to up my carbs - spagetti squash! 1 cup = 7 carbs..It was great and VERY filling!

Coorslight Wed, Jan-28-04 23:02

What about brussel sprouts? are they ok to have? I love them..

Dean4Prez Wed, Jan-28-04 23:30

I cup of cooked Brussels sprouts has 9.4 net carbs, and it's on the Acceptable Foods list.

BluJ Thu, Jan-29-04 01:54

I LOVE brussel sprouts!! Can't find the sketti squash around here tho.. :( I found those little bitty ears of baby corn in a can.. They are really low in carbs too.. Good for salads or heated with butter. Celery is good, but I don't see any cheese listed in your diet.. There is all kinds of cheese out there. Knock yerself out! LOL.. Even the Parmeson (sp) is OK.. Have a slice of one of the new low carb breads that are out now.. It's not on the induction list but you can have it soon.. Good luck!

gilibel Thu, Jan-29-04 08:14

If you want to up your carbs and keep the kcals where they are, adding cheese might not be the best solution.

There is a great little Carbohydrate Counter here on the board (under Low Carb Tools in the orange bar up top) where you can make a search for "vegetables" and then chose to get them sorted by the value of carbohydrates - that will make it easier to determine which has adequate carbs for your needs.

nfb02001 Thu, Feb-05-04 20:19

Not Enough Carbs/Calories?

I started Atkins yesterday (though now I'm thinking I may switch over to South Beach)... and while I've been plenty full the past two days I've noticed that I'm eating about half the carbs and calories I'm supposed to. I'm a college student and have to choose from things they have available, so I can't do anything too elaborate, though I do have a small fridge and microwave in my room. If you have any ideas on what I should be doing differently, please let me know.

My fit day journal (started today) http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...?Owner=nfb02001