Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   I Cheated During Induction Should I Start Again ? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=75554)

maryy Sun, Dec-15-02 18:58

I Cheated During Induction Should I Start Again ?

Maybe the holidays are not the best time to start :) I have done well and cut out the sodas, beer, chips and candy however went out to eat 3 times and totally did not follow the induction limits. Should I start again or just proceed from here back on the program ?

freydis Sun, Dec-15-02 19:18

The way I look at this is that once you begin this way of life, you're never off of it. You may choose to go off of the plan occasionally and you may choose to not follow it as strictly as you want, but you're never really OFF unless you give it up altogether. So, in my opinion, don't leave Induction until you're ready for the next step, but there's no need to start over, either. That's just my opinion, though.

CindySue48 Sun, Dec-15-02 22:31

The rules of induction for Atkins specify that you should be on induction for at least 2 weeks....following it exactly. so, unlike freydis, I'd say yes, you should restart.

I feel that the best thing about induction, to me, is that it gets you over the carb dependency. And to do that, you need a good period of time....not just a day or two. If you follow induction your body will "detoxify" itself from sugars. You'll probably feel really lousy for the first few days, but then you'll find that you have little or no desire for carbs.

That being said, maybe it's best if you wait until after the holidays to restart induction....and in the meanwhile watch what you're eating, read labels, read and reread the book....get your self psyched. Then restart when you know you'll be able to stick with it!

There are too may things related to food around the holidays. Don't beat yourself up about it. Just watch what you're doing and prepare yourself for your future!

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Cindy

AnnetteW Mon, Dec-16-02 07:43

I agree that if you can't do an almost perfect induction to hold off till you can. But if you can follow it and only have a few flubs, you are off to a great start and will probably start seeing results.

Follow it best you can, and hit it hard on the day 1 of your choice.

Induction was probably the best thing I could have done to my body. It definitely got me off a carb dependency, and I'm slowly adding them back in now.

Rainbowgc Mon, Dec-16-02 07:49

If you are slipping and sliding and you feel the holidays are a difficult time for you to totally commit yourself - my advice would be to follow Atktins as best that you can and start full induction as soon as you can. My opinion is it is better to commit yourself to that full cleanout and consider that your start time. DON'T HOWEVER use the holidays as an excuse for a full blown binge.
Just hold the fort as best you can - forgive yourself for the mistakes you make and move forward. Start full induction at a time that is calm so you can concentrate on that goal (finishing induction)
Erika