Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Desperate (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=25662)

carrie24 Thu, Nov-15-01 23:38

Desperate

:confused: Hi - I am a desperate Australian!

I am new to this forum but not new to Atkins. I first tried the diet about a year ago and it was great! I lost 12 pounds just on induction and was heading for my goal weight when Christmas struck, and you know the rest. So all year I have been on/off low- carbing, but never really getting serious - especially with alcohol. It got to the point though that my lapses put all the weight back on plus more. So a month ago I got serious again. I got back on induction - totally strict - was in ketosis within a few days, and have stayed moderately pink since. Now to my problem - I'm not losing! I have been going up and down the entire time - 1 pound off, 1 or 2 back on, 1 pound off etc etc, all within a 6 pound range. I did lose a couple of inches off all over the first couple of weeks, but that has now ceased also. I am exercising, drinking more than 2 litres a day and totally sticking to the diet just like the 1st time. Have I stuffed my metabolism up by doing things by halves during the year? I am about to have a big glass of red wine so please help me!!!

lilwannabe Fri, Nov-16-01 02:45

I am in the same boat...I have not seen the scale move in 3 weeks...however...It is important to readjust our thinking. We can not look at this as a diet...in order for this to work...it must be our way of life...

If you are having a hard time giving up the alcohol......perhaps you should try another program...I think that PP( Protein Power) allows for wine. I have not read that book, but I am sure that that is what I have read on here about it.

We must find a program that works for us...and not all the LC plans are the same.

As for the no weight loss, I can relate...I am so frustrated...and disappointed. I am trying to focus on how I feel. I feel so much healthier...and I love that I don't have that stupid little voice inside me screaming for food anymore. I am losing some inches...so for now I will be happy with that. I read on another post that I should not be too concerned until about the 6 week point. Tomorrow will be day 8 of induction for me...and I have been really sticking to it.

Or maybe you want to try a fat fast by Atkins...I have not done it yet...but am getting geared up for it...I will give myself a couple more weeks of doing what I am doing...then if nothing is working I am going to try it for a few days.

LC Sponge Fri, Nov-16-01 06:28

OK I have heard multitudes of people complain that the *second time around*is more difficult in terms of losing....

Here's a quote from the Nov 2001 edition of SHAPE magazine:

FAT FACT: You develop most of your fat early in life.

The average person is born with 5-6 billion fat cells and research suggests that you acquire most of your fat cells before the age of 20. The average adult has 30-40 billion fat cells, but can add more anytime a significant amount ofweight (at least 20-30 pounds of fat) is gained.

I figure that if every time we re-gain the weight (and add more) we are increasing the number of individual fat cells, and it is logical that the more fat cells you have the slower you are going to lose. Something to think about, anyway.

joanne42 Fri, Nov-16-01 06:55

Red wine is okay on Protein Power but just in moderation.. It contains the most sugar of all wines...On induction I would not have it...And yes the second time is harder around as I'm into my second time thank God it's finally kicking in...The only reason I gained back some of the weight was because of anti inflammatories and boy do they make you crave!!! GULP :(

gwilson38 Fri, Nov-16-01 14:37

Once I was off induction, I found I could drink hard liquor with water...BUT the next day I would be really hungry and wanting carbs so I was careful and just loaded up on the protein and fat. I would stick with what U are doing for now, maybe increase the water more if U can. If after a few more weeks you arent losing weight or inches U could try a 3 day reversal diet such as a "soup" diet. It may cause initial water gain but once U switch back to low-carbing for a few days it may kick start a weight loss.

carrie24 Fri, Nov-16-01 19:07

Thank you all so much for your words of wisdom. I did have a couple of drinks last night :thdown: but got up this morning and have dropped a pound :thup: so I am feeling much better. I DO feel more energetic (as always on atkins) and slimmer, I know I look better and now I have my motivation back again I feel confident. So up & down lately, but I have to stick with it.

Once again, thanks for your support.

carrie24 Fri, Nov-16-01 19:19

I must also mention that I felt quite ill after drinking wine too. So unlike me! But I suppose that's a good thing. And yes, I did wake up hungry (which is unusual) but had a couple of decafs with cream and that fixed me up.

I'm going to my grandfather's 90th birthday party tomorrow - I am going to break at some stage I guess - any suggestions?