Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Eating late at night? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=169131)

ndhulst Wed, Feb-25-04 09:15

Eating late at night?

ok I usually eat my last snack at about 3:30pm , then about 3 days a week I teach a dance class from 4-5:45pm. after that I fix dinner, but then at 9, or 10 I am starving!! my belly is rumbling and I want to eat...but its so late...

Right now I am ignoring it and going to bed...but maybe this is bad to ignore?

I eat a good size dinner, so I am not sure what I should do...should I have a late night snack? I mean thats really late!!

what do you guys do? do you eat when its that late?

Volgal Wed, Feb-25-04 09:19

My kitchen closes at 7:00PM. It is off-limits from then until the morning. If I get hungry I take a bubble bath or have a tall galss of water.

scorpio381 Wed, Feb-25-04 09:20

I halt my eating by 7 p.m. That's the earliest I can do it. I get home from work at 5:30/5:45, exercise for 30 minutes, cook dinner.....I just can't get everything done before 7 p.m.

I'm usually not hungry after that point, but occasionally I yearn for something. FINALLY, my Super Wal-mart started carrying the Carb Countdown chocolate milk. IT IS SOOOOOO GOOD. And the carbs are very minimal (2 net in an 8 oz. glass). That hits the spot for me and really fills me up. And since it's a liquid, I don't really consider it snacking....it's drinking! LOL

Good luck!

akyser Wed, Feb-25-04 11:40

I usually have to eat my last meal at 9p.m. or later. My husband is doing it with me and doesn't get home until that time. I wait to have dinner with him. I don't want him to have to eat alone. Is it bad to eat that late. I was just wondering.

Iowan Wed, Feb-25-04 11:47

I ate dinner last night at 8:00 and I woke up a pound heavier this morning :( I am DEFINITELY going to make sure all of my eating is DONE by 6:30 from now on, whether I feel like I am starving or not ;)

Tinamarie6 Wed, Feb-25-04 13:26

try eating a piece of cheese that seems to work for me, I know that some say it could cause a stall but it hasn't for me. Hope it helps. Tina

cls923 Wed, Feb-25-04 13:52

Sometimes I eat dinner at 8p.m., but I try to eat earlier (6:30p) most of the time..So far, that doen't seem to hinder my weight loss. I think it also depends on what time you go to bed..Its probably ok to eat later as long as your going to be up for a while after you eat..I try to take a walk shortly after eating..Makes me feel good..

ndhulst Wed, Feb-25-04 14:57

Thanks for all the replies..I think on the days I am excersizing I will eat a small snack and stay up later...but I will try and make it and exception not a rule!!
Last night my tummy was rumbling all night...so I guess i should listen a little :)

leslew5 Wed, Feb-25-04 15:14

I eat late often but try to prevent it by drinking water... :rolleyes:

FrecklFluf Wed, Feb-25-04 17:48

I've never really liked to eat late, and I don't have a big appetite, but if I'm hungry, I will eat. Maybe later I will feel motivated to ignore that tummy rumbling, but that's one reason low-fat didn't work for me.

Now, I know some people are ALWAYS hungry at night, and for those people it would be a bigger problem. I'm lucky that I only have the urge to snack late once every few weeks or so.

I would like to get my regular dinner time down to 6:00 or so, though. Sometimes it's hard because of schedules.

jennabrams Wed, Feb-25-04 17:56

Hi guys...I am definitely one of those people who are just always hungry at night, but I close my kitchen by 6pm every night. Even if I have to go to sleep hungry I just try to drink a ton of water or herbal tea...sometimes the tea makes me feel full. I notice that on the rare nights I eat late I feel slightly bloated the next day so it's just not worth it to me...
Good Luck!
Jenn

slim4life Wed, Feb-25-04 18:24

I think it all depends on calories consumed. If you are not at your limit for the day...why not eat later. Everybody's schedule is different. Like me....I'm up at 11:00a I eat breakfast at 11:30a. Have lunch by 3:00p. Snack at 6:00p....and then eat dinner at 9:00p. It's generally salad, meat and veggies. If I'm still up at around 12:00a....I have a snack. It's fine cause I know that I haven't gone over my calories for the day. If I stopped eating earlier, I wouldn't be getting my fat in. That's just me....what do I know. Until there is some scientific proof that eating late cause weight gain, I have to eat. The whole point of this WOE is to not be hungry. I am not about to go to be with my stomach growling. I'm not in a race to lose pounds. Slow and steady is the way to go. If my scale goes up , it will eventually go down as long as I'm staying on program with the types of foods, my exercise, and my water intake. When you start putting too many restrictions on yourself,you tend to want to taper off course. Just my little tidbit.

Kristine Wed, Feb-25-04 19:21

Personally, I lose much better when I stop eating after dinner time. If you're getting too hungry by bed time, maybe you could eat dinner a tad later and/or have a little more.

Kathy54 Wed, Feb-25-04 20:15

Yep I do the cheese thing, just a 1/4 inch slice, and that holds me to morning just fine :>)
Can't do any harm, but having a pc of Low carb toast does!!

Kathy

Mossling Thu, Feb-26-04 00:32

There are those of us whose dinner time is between 8 and 10 pm most nights! DH comes home NO LATER than 8 pm (well, without calling me, that is :lol: ) and I try to have dinner on the table 15-30 minutes later. It's been like this all our married life. Then there's choir night (that's even later--around 9:30, 'cause it's really not good to sing on a full stomach); and singing lesson and Mah Jongg night -- the lesson is 6-7, the game is 7:30-9ish, so no dinner until after--we're lucky if we eat by 8:30 4 nights/week!
I know that for most people in the US, dinner is between 5 and 6:30; we just happen to function later. Of course, we're up until nearly midnight! (And sometimes my 5:45 alarm comes WAY too early!)

Jude