Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Blood Pressure ? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=102944)

cc48510 Sat, May-03-03 23:37

Blood Pressure ?

I checked my BP using one of those machines in Albertsons/Winn-Dixie/Etc...yesterday night and twice today. The first two numbers were High Normal: 137/85 and 140/84. But, I noticed that the tight cuff caused me to clinch my fist, etc...So, I tried not clinching my fist and breathing in and out while it took my pressure...and I'll be damned, if the numbers didn't drop to 126/74, well within the normal range. Can the numbers really change that much ???

thindelite Sun, May-04-03 05:13

blood pressure

I purchased a digital BP monitor and I check mine at home - since it is usually elevated in a doctor's office - the white coat hypertension thing. I would think for an accurate reading, one needs a quiet place and to not be distracted. Your pressure seems fine though, and you may have not been sitting long enough the first couple of times - if you walked a ways or up stairs, the pressure will be higher, than if you have rested a few minutes. It also has a lot to do with what you have eaten - carbs always raise my numbers. When I am low carbing and not eating any refined sugar, my pressure is quite normal at 115/65. Had you eaten too much starch? Though your numbers still seem normal. Also, I do not know why - but when I am first coming off sugar (I have tried this program many times - I have addiction problems - and am now in my 7th day "again" and hopefully for the last time, of being off refined sugar), I find that in my 2nd or 3rd day of withdrawals from sugar, my BP goes up to about 130/75 - due to withdrawals or my body releasing triglycerides into the blood stream - I'm not sure why - and this sometimes has caused doubt on my part and thinking that the fat and protein in my diet has caused a rise in my BP - and probably why I go off the plan. But with sticking to low carbing, this rise in BP corrects itself and falls into the normal range and stays there - even with lots of fat in my diet.

Hope this helps.

Denise :roll:

Paleoanth Sun, May-04-03 07:19

Yes it can differ that much. BP can depend on time of day and as already mentioned how quiet you are right before taking it as well as the clenched fist.

When I was teaching students how to take BP one time, I had them do it on me with me standing up-my BP zoomed high! I think it was 140/85 or 90 and normal for me is 98/60.

liz175 Sun, May-04-03 07:53

Yes. Your blood pressure can vary that much. If you decide you need to monitor it and purchase a home monitor, make sure that you measure the circumference of your arm and compare it to the dimensions the manual for the monitor specifies as being within the allowed range. I had to special order a larger cuff in order to get an accurate reading. (There was a phone number included with the blood pressure device to call for a larger cuff.) If the cuff is too tight, readings generally come in high. This can be a problem at doctor's offices as well -- I always have to remind them to use the larger cuff.

2bthinner! Sun, May-04-03 11:56

Breathing

I have a BP monitor at home (Walgreen's Drug Store). And I recently learned that if you hyperventilate (Breathe in and breathe out, pushing all the air out you can) I've done this several times and it always lowers my reading. Maybe it has to do with blood oxygen and that's why exercise helps people with high blood pressure. :confused:

edited to correct Eckerd's to Walgreen's. :daze: