Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Ideal Weight (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=50931)

Ultra Tue, Jul-16-02 16:10

Ideal Weight

Hey all, quick question-

I have my goal weight in mind from when I started this, but I feel as I get closer to it that I may want to go lower. I've seen a few Ideal Weight Calculators out there online, and I could have sworn I saw one on this site. Any recommendations for a good one? I know some of those go by charts, some by body type, etc. I'm broad shouldered and have some muscle mass, even though I may want to go lower I want to know what is recommended for my body type. I'm 6'2", and my goal weight I've set at 190 for now. This seems close to the Ideal Weight Calcualtors I've seen online, even a tiny bit generous over what they state. I know I'll partly base it on how I feel/look when I hit that point, but I like to research something this important very thoroughly. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ultra

Natrushka Tue, Jul-16-02 18:32

Ultra, if you're quite muscular then you're going to find that all of those 'charts' are going to be less than 'ideal' - at least this has been my experience.

Instead of using a chart why not focus on something like percentage of body fat? Having a healthy BF% means you're lean and fit and look it. Simply being a number because that is what is expected of you wont necessarily mean that you're lean and fit - there are a lot of 135 lbs 5'4" women who fall into the 'thin fat' category.

Just something to think about. I know that when I reach my goal my weight will not jive with what the charts say I should weigh - I already have around 140 lbs of lean mass, this makes it hard to weight between 127 - 158 lbs :)

Nat

Lisa N Tue, Jul-16-02 18:46

I agree, Nat.

According to the infamous height/weight charts, Arnold Schwarzenegger is fat, but I certainly wouldn't want to be the one to tell HIM that! LOL

Ultra Wed, Jul-17-02 08:33

I see what you mean. Is the only way to measure body fat done on a body fat scale, and with the doctor? Or are there other ways? And what would most people consider ideal in body fat percentage?

Natrushka Wed, Jul-17-02 09:07

Here are two links that should help you figure out what BF% to aim for and how to go about figuring yours out:

Using BF% as goal - At the end of the post there are two charts with BF% and ranges for both men and women at various ages.

LC and BFL - Tips and Hints - About half way down the first post in this thread you'll find a few different online body fat calculators - remember they are for approximations only. Short of underwater weighing (and autopsy ;) ) all BF% share a margin of error that can be as great as 3%.

HTH
Nat