Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Soups Sauces & Appetizers (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Mexican Chicken Soup (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=272481)

steveed Thu, Nov-03-05 15:49

Mexican Chicken Soup

1 med. onion chopped
1 med. carrot chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
1 poblano pepper chopped
garlic 3-6 bulbs chopped fine
1 bunch green onions chopped
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
Lime cut into wedges
2.5 lbs. chopped chicken meat or use whole chicken thighs with skin on and bone for extra flavor and nutrition (your choice, I like dark meat)
3 bay leaves
1-2 Tbsp mexican seasoning (salt free, I also like to add a touch of fresh cinnamon and a few freshly ground allspice berries)
chili flakes to taste
1 large can chopped tomatoes
about 4 cups or so chicken broth (amount of broth depends on how thick you like it!, enough to cover the other ingredients anyway.)
Sour Cream (optional)
chopped avocado (optional)
Pepper
Sea Salt

Sweat the onion, garlic, carrot and celery until soft with a dash of sea salt and a handful of pepper flakes. Cook until you smell the hot pepper oil. Add chopped chicken and a little sea salt to season the meat and cook through. (If using whole chicken thighs, pre-brown seperately after having seasoned them with a little salt and pepper, not necessary to cook em through). Add the mexican seasoning, some black pepper, bay leaves, poblano, chicken stock and chopped tomatoes. Cook at a medium simmer covered for about an 45 minutes to an hour. Check seasoning and adjust. Add chopped cilantro and green onion and cook for 15 minutes more. Serve with lime wedges and top with chopped avocado & sour cream if you are doing dairy.

(Some people don't like cilantro...no sweat, just use some italian parsley in it's place)

Sorry, no carb counts since I like to be more or less intuitive about it all. If you need lower carb counts, just leave out the chopped onion and chopped tomatos as you like.

juelz4u Mon, Nov-07-05 20:47

Yummo! That sounds great! Thanks for sharing!! I'm a soup O holic!! :D
Juli

bob2112 Mon, Nov-07-05 21:52

Wow gonna have to give this one a try for sure. Thanks for the recipe!!

steveed Wed, Nov-09-05 19:48

oh, I forgot. top the whole mess with tortilla chips.

just kiddin.

Camelle217 Sat, Oct-14-06 19:07

I made this on Friday, and we had some Friday, and more today... it was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVED IT!!!! DEFINATELY put just a dash of that cinnamon in there, it just gives the flavors that "extra layer". My son (15 months old) kept saying "more more more" He ate 2 "bowls" of it (little broth...lots of chicken and tomatos!) OH, and I used 2 cans of canned chicken... becasue well, I had it, and was being lazy!!! But definately a keeper for us!

blue02rsxs Wed, Nov-15-06 19:24

I love Mexican. That sounds fantastic! I might have to make a trip to the store to pick up a few items to make this dish! :)

aprils0909 Wed, Nov-15-06 19:43

YUM! Thanks for sharing!

NYNikki Fri, Nov-17-06 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveed
1 med. onion chopped
1 med. carrot chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
1 poblano pepper chopped
garlic 3-6 bulbs chopped fine
1 bunch green onions chopped
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
Lime cut into wedges
2.5 lbs. chopped chicken meat or use whole chicken thighs with skin on and bone for extra flavor and nutrition (your choice, I like dark meat)
3 bay leaves
1-2 Tbsp mexican seasoning (salt free, I also like to add a touch of fresh cinnamon and a few freshly ground allspice berries)
chili flakes to taste
1 large can chopped tomatoes
about 4 cups or so chicken broth (amount of broth depends on how thick you like it!, enough to cover the other ingredients anyway.)
Sour Cream (optional)
chopped avocado (optional)
Pepper
Sea Salt

It’s actually a Mexican Stew but some call is soup. It's a very old Mexican tradition and another name for it is Posole. You can use chicken, pulled pork or any type meat but the original recipe was made using hominy.

What is Hominy?: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-hominy.htm

Anyway it's made - it's delicious!

Nikki

beachekean Mon, Apr-16-07 16:35

this sounds amazing, but what is mexican seasoning? Is that like fajita or taco? I definitely want to make this.

HairOnFire Tue, Jul-03-07 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachekean
this sounds amazing, but what is mexican seasoning? Is that like fajita or taco? I definitely want to make this.

I think McCormick or Schilling's actually makes a Mexican seasoning in a jar, but if you can't find it, use this:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,164...-233205,00.html

Mexican Seasoning

2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/2 tsp. salt

As with anything, tastes vary. So test, then improvise, adding red pepper flakes, a little sugar, more or less cumin, etc.

GlendaRC Tue, Jul-03-07 18:35

3 - 6 BULBS of garlic? I love garlic, but ...... Did you mean cloves? Sounds like a great recipe, and thanks to HairOnFire for posting the recipe for Mexican Spice. I wouldn't have had a clue (I see it adds a tad more garlic :lol: :lol: )