Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   fried zuchinni? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=84284)

LadyBug555 Sun, Feb-02-03 23:05

fried zuchinni?

what is a good way to prepare this?

RCFletcher Mon, Feb-03-03 01:35

Hi LadyBug555,

Well I had to look them up in a dictionary first "the U.S. and Canadian name for courgette" :)

I usually cut them into slices about 1cm thick, dust them with lo salt and pepper and fry them in olive oil on both sides until a little brown. You can also split them lengthwise for a change. They are nice as part of a stir fry along with cauliflower, onions and what ever you've got.

A blob of sour cream on them adds a finishing touch.

Regards,

Robert

nikkil Mon, Feb-03-03 02:01

the thing with zucchini is that it cooks really quickly and can get quite soft, so if you're using it in a stirfry, add it last (same with bean sprouts if you use those in a stirfry--yumm!). I like to fry them on their own, sprinkle with garlic and pepper/salt (in oil or butter) searing them so they're a nice golden brown. I have sliced them in half, and cooked that way is great too. I especially like them sprinkled with lemon pepper (use it on chicken, fish, veggies). Gives an awesome lemon flavour to your food. Zucchini is great shredded in an omelet, too. Gives it colour, bulk, and some vits.

I eat zucchini every single day since starting this WOL (ate it a nice bit before, too) . So much, in fact, that I went out and bought some seeds on Saturday, to grow my own :D :D :D

Nicole

PS--don't peel the zucchini!!

LadyBug555 Mon, Feb-03-03 08:26

I used to fry it coated so I will try the lemon pepper as we use a lot of that. I have always loved it shredded in a salad. Thanks

Lisa N Mon, Feb-03-03 09:03

If you're used to a coating, you can try finely crushed pork rinds or parmesan cheese. I imagine both would be quite tasty. :yum:

MarimbaMom Mon, Feb-03-03 16:25

You could try grating it finely and squeezing some of the water out of it. Then add a little salt, pepper, and egg to it and shape it into patties and fry them gently in either butter or olive oil. I used to make these when I was on a low-fat diet (only I also added a little flour to them then) and they were really good. You can also grate up a little onion to mix in as well.

sam59 Mon, Feb-03-03 17:20

I know this isn't what you had in mind...but as a fellow zucchini lover I thought you might like this. I absolutely do NOT miss my old lasagna any more, but I sure missed it before.

ZUCCHINI LASAGNA

Sauce:

3/4 lb. lean ground beef
1/4 c. minced onion
1/4 c. minced green pepper
1 tbsp. minced garlic
I sm. tin of tomato paste
1 tsp. oregano
black pepper

Brown ground beef, onion and green pepper in a little olive oil, add garlic, oregano and tomato paste, and thin with a little water. Simmer for about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, slice two med. zucchini lengthwise in approx. 1/4" slices. Brown in olive oil.

Layer zucchini, sauce and 2 c. of grated mozzarella cheese.

Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

Numbers for the whole recipe.....net carbs 49

source grams cals %total
Total: 1940
Fat: 123 1106 59%
Sat: 55 495 26%
Poly: 6 51 3%
Mono: 51 459 24%
Carbs: 65 197 10%
Fiber: 16 0 0%
Protein: 147 587 31%

Sam