Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Does water really matter...? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=188133)

jadefox26 Mon, May-31-04 12:04

Does water really matter...?

Hiya, just wondering (as I'm struggling with the water intake a day - probably only geting half what I should!!!) Does water really matter? I thought I'd do a poll on it! :-)

blue4lemon Mon, May-31-04 12:06

I think it does matter, because water flushes out those ketones, plus, if I don't drink enough water I feel tired and weak.

jadefox26 Mon, May-31-04 12:13

I must admit to feeling a bit drained if I haven't had at least half of the water a day

jadefox26 Mon, May-31-04 12:21

no one loves me....or my post <sniff sniff>

nka Mon, May-31-04 12:25

I hate water so to get my fill of it I stopped drinking everything else but one to two cups of coffee in the morning. If there is nothing else to drink; I really have no choice but to drink the awful water.

Ghuldeen Mon, May-31-04 12:38

I definitely suscribe to the water guzzling. From what I understand, higher protien diets can put added strain on both liver and kidneys (not dangerous). Adding water, can help relieve that pressure and assist the body in flushing out toxins and other not so nice stuff.

DarkLotus Mon, May-31-04 12:39

I find I do better all around when I drink enough water. 1-2 gallons a day. Keeps me from feeling puffy and bloated.

nitesnakr Mon, May-31-04 12:44

Water definitely makes a difference. If I don't get in my 100+ oz. I just don't feel as good. I also notice on the weeks I get in my water faithfully, I lose weight.

toopoles Mon, May-31-04 13:02

I think that water really does matter. And there are times that I don't mind drinking it. Just wish that I liked to drink it more often. Marty

Maire Mon, May-31-04 13:22

Good thread!

There are studies that say that 64 ounces per day are enough, and others saying that people who counted tea as part of their water were just as hydrated.

It seems kind of suspect to me that so many people go by the rule of "64 ounces plus 8 more for every 25 lbs. overweight." I think the US is the only nation left in the world still using ounces, so what makes that 64 ounces so sacrosanct? I think it's just one of those things that is repeated so often that people come to think of it as scientific fact.

Protein Power (Dr. Michael Eades) says drink at least two quarts (64 ounces) and allows all beverages in the count. Atkins for Life also says 64 ounces.

I have tried forcing water, and it didn't make any difference to weight loss. So now most of my water is tea. I guess it comes down to what works for you.

P.S. Jade, it's a holiday in the US, so I suspect that a a lot of people are out barbecuing instead of at work sneaking on this board!

LisaAC Mon, May-31-04 13:24

My problem is, the more water I drink, the more I crave it. Granted, this isn't exactly a bad thing, but it makes for a lot of sleepless nights due to many bathroom trips.

Vanity3 Mon, May-31-04 14:45

No, it is a good thread. I don't drink all of my water either :nono: but I still lose. I do feel full and don't eat as much when I get my day's worth!

saffron28 Mon, May-31-04 15:00

I definately notice when I don't drink enough water. I feel puffy and bloated, and can usually see and feel a difference in my hands and fingers. I also notice that when I do drink enough that I usually feel thirstier throughout the day making it easier to get in extra water. But I do have to make myself drink my water before I let myself drink anything else or I don't seem to get it all in.

Carina8 Mon, May-31-04 15:12

I think water is VERY important for keeping your organs healthy (skin included) and flushing toxins out of our systems.

I think 64oz, apx 2 quarts or just under 2 liters is a good measure to keep as a minimum.

But.. I really judge how much water I need by the color of my urine. Some days it is clear after 7 -8oz glasses.. sometimes it takes 11 or 12 -8oz glasses. I guess it depends on what I eat.
I don't make myself drink a certain oz amount per se, but make sure that my urine is clear before bed.

Carina

lightforce Mon, May-31-04 15:15

The more water I drink the better I feel