Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Bryers Carb Zone icecream (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=178940)

lowcarbjo Fri, Apr-16-04 16:59

Bryers Carb Zone icecream

I found this stuff at Save On Foods... choc, vanilla and Strawberry flavors. 5 gms carbs per serving, I believe it's made with SPLENDA..YAY!!...they also sell Bryers ice cream sandwiches EXCEPT.... on the front of the box it says 5 net grams carbs....on the side it says 10 grams per sandwich, 5 grams of the total carbs comes from sugars... it is made with Splenda as well as aspartame as well as.... SUGAR!! it looks good but...Sorry did not see the price for it...nor did I purchase any ice cream... maybe in the summer...:rolleyes:

Itty Tue, Apr-20-04 09:01

I've seen an advert for Bryers SMARTSCOOP icecream and bars in a grocers magazine (for folks in the grocery biz), and it looks awfully good. For the volume of ice cream I want to eat, and the horrible *hangovers* I get from reg ice cream, I think I will try this one.

I'll give you a report as soon as I have tried it...

M

PS I love vanilla!

lowcarbjo Tue, Apr-20-04 09:25

I think the Smart Scoop is just a LOW FAT ice cream, the low carb is called Carb Zone... out here anyway. Both made by Bryers..though I didn't look at the nutritional guidelines for the Smart Scoop to see how many carbs cuz the front of the box said low fat...maybe I should re-investigate.

Michele-67 Tue, Apr-20-04 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbjo
I think the Smart Scoop is just a LOW FAT ice cream, the low carb is called Carb Zone... out here anyway. Both made by Bryers..though I didn't look at the nutritional guidelines for the Smart Scoop to see how many carbs cuz the front of the box said low fat...maybe I should re-investigate.

I found Breyers Smart Scoop "Carb Zone" frozen dessert in the grocery store. They also have a low fat Smart Scoop, so you have to be careful to get the low carb one. It has 4 grams of carbs (from sugar) and 8.7 grams of fat per half cup serving.

There is no sugar, sucrose, dextrose etc. listed in the ingredients. So, I think the sugar carbs must come from the milk ingredients. It also has polydextrose (2.4 grams) and sorbitol (1.8 grams).

I tried the chocolate and it was pretty good. But, it's too easy for me to overindulge. :nono: :nono: :nono: It will have to be an occasional treat.

I hope this helps.

Michele

Tannia Tue, Apr-20-04 19:00

I am in Burlington Ontario. Does Anyone know where i can get this wonderful sounding treat?

SweetMel Wed, Apr-21-04 12:31

Im in Winnipeg and got mine at IGA. They have the vanilla or chocolate and they are made with splenda.............they are so yummy as michelle said easy to overindulge.

STALLQUEEN Wed, Apr-21-04 13:20

I saw a biiboard yesterday in Toronto for Yogun fruz ( typo ) they have a low carb ice cream something goinf on........

we are officially mainstream

d

Michele-67 Wed, Apr-21-04 19:28

Tannia - I found Smart Scoop at Food Basics. If you have a Donimion or Loblaws you might be able to find it there as well.

Tannia Thu, Apr-22-04 07:53

Thanks I live right across the street from basic's ill go today!! Im so excited! :D

leeleepea Mon, Apr-26-04 16:50

I saw the low carb Breyer's at 7-11 in Toronto today.
But it was 8 dollars.
:o

dyberrah Wed, Apr-28-04 10:56

I bought the Breyers Carb Zone Vanilla - it's good - tastes like frozen Cool Whip - biggest challenge is keeping your serving small

Here is what I did for a dessert treat:

1 small scoop (1/4 cup or less) Breyers low carb vanilla (2g carb from sugars)
1/2 chapmans sugar free chocolate ice cream bar (incredible!!!) (2.5g carbs from sugars)
4 toasted pecan halves
3 slices frozen strawberries

It was delightful - small and satisfying.

I buy strawberries on sale, slice them, lay them out on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with Splenda, and freeze. Perfect for a small, satisfying addition!

Yes - Chapman's Sugar Free Fudge Barrs Sweetened with Maltitol and Sucralose are amazing! I got them at Urban Fare - only place I've ever seen them...

dyberrah

CompasRose Wed, Apr-28-04 13:00

I was so disappointed in this. Big letters on the front saying "Splenda"! Splenda! I glanced at the ingredients, but only quickly, and bought it.

Took it home, ate a serving, and within half an hour was feeling the distinctive intestinal rumblings. Got it out of the freezer and looked again, and lo! the demon Sorbitol was right up there, with Splenda lurking pathetically near the bottom.

Bloody $~%$#~ sugar alcohols. Why can't they just use Splenda?

Anyway, it had a weird texture, sort of firm and insubstantial/fluffy at the same time. Like still-frozen Cool Whip, really.

Not so hot. Even without the Repercussions. Thumbs way down from me; I'll stick to my homemade "protein powder in the ice-cream maker" concoction for now.

lowcarbjo Wed, Apr-28-04 15:52

Well that solves it for me... no need to go out, buy it, eat WAY too much and regret it later....if it really tastes like frozen CoolWhip...AWESOME...I HATE COOLWHIP!! But my DH on the other hand....I better not tell him or else he'll buy up all the flavors at once!! haha!!

steph z Wed, Apr-28-04 17:11

I went in to my local Yogen Fruz to inquire when the Atkins Endulge Ice cream would be available - they said, in May.

Itty Fri, Apr-30-04 20:08

Hi

Tried the Bryers Smart Scoop lo carb (4g 125 ml) ice cream. Doesn't taste like much, but has a great texture. Kinda like those super-cheapo ones.

M

BTW cost me $6.99 at my local super crap mart.