Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Tips and Stalls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Meat fast (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=126)

r.mines Sun, Nov-12-00 11:19

I've been doing a bit of lurking on the Atkins board (it's a lot of fun - if any of you haven't tried it, check it out! Saw you there, Gopher, love your pix!). Anyway, a few people have been talking about a 'meat fast' that has been successful in breaking stalls. I wasn't able to glean much info about it, but apparently you eat nothing but meat (I think a weeny amount of cooking oil is OK) and drink nothing but plain water - lots of it. You shouldn't do it for more than three days.

Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone tried it? It sounds intriguing to me, not too difficult to follow (if I can give up coffee for three days - oy!), and not too boring in the short run.

Rachel

tamarian Sun, Nov-12-00 13:23

Sounds pretty close to the Stillman's diet, but Debra and Stillman experts here may correct me on this? :confused:

Dr. Atkins has a similar stall-buster called "fat fast" which has a seperate chapter in his new book (I only have the old one).

Wa'il

r.mines Sun, Nov-12-00 13:49

Re: meat fast

Dunno. From what I was able to glean, it's sort of a cross between Stillman (protein only) and the Fat Fast (fat only). Sounds like you can have both the fat and protein in meat, unlike Stillman, which is lean protein only, and unlike the Fat Fast, which is fat only (no or little protein). Well, I'm just curious.

Rachel

IslandGirl Sun, Nov-12-00 13:55

Meat & Water Fast

Super for extreme metabolic resistance (as is the Fat Fast).

If you go to The LowCarb Retreat [this is one of my MAJOR reference sites, there's not a lot you CAN'T find there, glad you've linked to it, Wa'il ]
http://www.lowcarb.org
and click on "K in Cali's Lowcarbing Dream FAQ"
http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/LowcarbingDream/
then click on "Meat Fast"
http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/LowcarbingDream/meat.html
you get the straight goods.... from the original poster.

Enjoy.

[Edited by IslandGirl on 13-11-00 at 14:16]

Christine_R Tue, Nov-14-00 20:42

Meat Fast

I think that Atkins recommends something like cream cheese and mac's all day. Eeeeck!

The meat fast, as it has become known, originated who-knows-where, but it does work. All meat, no cheese, no processed meats (as in pre-packaged), no eggs, and water.

I've done it myself, for two days, and yes, it DOES work. I added a couple eggs in there because I couldn't do it any other way.

If you're brave, give it a shot and remember to take your supplements!

tamarian Tue, Nov-14-00 20:58

Welcome aboard Christine!

Quote:
Originally posted by Christine_R
I've done it myself, for two days, and yes, it DOES work. I added a couple eggs in there because I couldn't do it any other way.

If you're brave, give it a shot and remember to take your supplements!

Encouragment at the right time, was thinking about it. I've done the fat fast before so hopefully this should be easier!

Wa'il
400/290/230

r.mines Wed, Nov-15-00 10:44

meat fast

Me too, thanks for the info. I'm trying to get up the nerve. I'm such as SLOW loser(one pound in the last two weeks, sigh)!

But the nice thing about all this is that there's no rush. And despite the fact that I wish things would move a little faster, imagine trying to take the long-term view on a calorie-restricted diet! The longest I've ever managed was a couple of months, and even then, to maintain I was down to 1200 cals/day and hungry all the time.

This is way better! Healthier, too!

Rachel

IslandGirl Wed, Nov-15-00 15:15

meat & water fast ;)

Last year (on the Lowcarb-List or the Atkins-New, out of St. John's Maelstrom ListServer) a whole crew of us did a "round" of several weeks with Fat Fast Tuesdays and Meat & Water Wednesdays, the rest of the week being (usually) Atkins Induction or Protein Power Phase 1 or whatever we usually did.

It seemed a lot easier to do (face) ONE day of each and then return to 'normal', and it usually provided a bit of a metabolic "kickstart".

Why not try something like that? :confused: I'm thinking about it myself, too much caffeine and stress is playing havoc with my system... :o

tamarian Wed, Nov-15-00 15:25

Hmm, a group thing. Cool, we can do it and come up with our own study results :). But seriously, this sounds good! Never done such a thing, currenly planning a week of Stillman with an email buddy, but a bigger circle might provide a wider variety of results to compare with. Anyone?

Wa'il

r.mines Wed, Nov-15-00 19:09

Group thing?

Hmmm, sounds kinky. And is that supposed to be a pun, Fat (Fast) Tuesday = Mardi Gras? Could be fun! Do we get to wear costumes?

I'm more interested in the Meat Fast than the Fat Fast, but I could join you Tuesdays and Wednesdays, pork chops in hand!

Rachel

NNN Wed, Nov-15-00 19:21

Mee too

Why I do need to try this fast as I am gaining and not losing and basically I am eating the same as last year when I was losing. I think my body just needs to get revved up in the losing mode by being on 0 carbs for a couple of days. NOw maybe the weekend will be best for me when I am not working. SO is it best like Stillmans to cut out the fat too?
NNN

r.mines Wed, Nov-15-00 21:24

Hi, NNN! As I understand it, the meat fast is just that - meat (and lots of water, of course) - and it's not necessary to cut the fat. Judi gave some links up a bit earlier in this thread for more info.

Rachel

doreen T Thu, Nov-16-00 09:39

Re: Mee too

Quote:
Originally posted by NNN
Why I do need to try this fast as I am gaining and not losing and basically I am eating the same as last year when I was losing.

Hi NNN and everybody,

I'm in the same boat too. I don't cheat, I've pretty much been eating just meats, dairy, veggies & lowcarb fruits (ProtPwr) but my loss has been so slow to nil, even with bumping up the exercise a bit. I think the idea behind either of the protein "fasts" isn't so much to lose a quick few pounds (although I'm hopeful ;) ) but rather to jumpstart the metabolism back into LOSE mode. Then when you go back to whatever lowcarb program you've been following, your body will keep on losing. Kinda like when I give my old Rustmobile a kick! :D

I like the idea of everyone contributing ideas and personal observations. Whatever happened to the Stalls and Plateaus forum?? Maybe we could get another thread started where folks could post their experiences, tips, ideas, problems, questions, etc. and it would be permanent. I believe as this forum continues to grow that at any given time, SOMEBODY will be wanting and needing to bust a stall or jumpstart their efforts. Heck, I'll probably be needing to give it another go after New Years. :p

Just my two cents worth
Doreen

r.mines Thu, Nov-16-00 09:50

OK, when do we start?

Sounds like it's a go, fellow low-c'ers! So when do we start?

I personally would prefer to 'fast' on weekdays, rather than weekends, as on weekends I'm more likely to have company or eat out. But I don't suppose we ALL have to 'fast' on the same days.

Well, I'm up for the Meat Fast, Tuesdays and Wednesdays (or any other weekday) for, say, the next three weeks. If it works, maybe longer.

Anyone else?

Rachel

tamarian Thu, Nov-16-00 12:55

Re: OK, when do we start?

Quote:
Originally posted by r.mines

Anyone else?

I'm doing Stillman tomorrow for a full week, and decide what to do after that based on results :)

Wa'il