Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What's up with this? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=177984)

allibaba Sat, Apr-10-04 20:44

What's up with this?

I'm trying to put my bad food choice into FitDay and it keeps giving me the old your calories should be blah, blah, blah message. Anyway, is this because the sugar alcohols should be counted as calories and they're not? It's showing calories of 170, but FitDay wants it to be 359.

Thanks,
Alli

Elsah Sat, Apr-10-04 20:56

I had a problem with that too. Seems it's not looking for sugar alcohols but counting it as hard liquor? That was my only guess anyway.

Jenn

freckles Sat, Apr-10-04 23:35

Sugar alcohols really aren't alcohol, they're still considered in the carbohydrate part of the equation....but since you don't want to put them in as carbs (to help you count) you have to figure out how to handle it. What I used to do is put the item in with less calories, which canceled out the sugar alcohol carbs...but with all the talk about calories going on I decided I really want to know the true calorie counts, so I've started putting in the sugar alcohols as alcohol. But carbs are multiplied x 4 to get the calories...alcohol is multiplied x 7...so just divide the sugar alcohols by 2 and use that number to put in the alcohol box. Either way will work...just depends on what is more important to you. I kind of like counting the sa's as alcohol actually, because that way, since I don't drink, I also have a breakdown of how many of them I'm eating in ratio to carbs, etc.

LadyBelle Sun, Apr-11-04 08:19

Sugar alcohols are partially absorbed by the body, so they do contain calories. Like freckles sugegsted putting them uder alcohol and fudging until you get the right claorie amount works. Putting part of them under carbs would probably be more accurate though as they are partially absorbed as carbs.

allibaba Sun, Apr-11-04 19:32

Well, I usually add the SA's in the alcohol section AND put the total carbs in, but this time it didn't work. So, I divided the SA's by two like Freck, suggested and put in only the net carbs and it finally worked. I wonder if FitDay PC has a fix for this?

Alli ~ thanks for the tips

adukart Tue, Apr-13-04 16:12

I just put the (some) sugar alcohols as fiber.

cc48510 Tue, Apr-13-04 17:00

I use Fitday PC, which is alot easier. I just create a new custom for every major polyol...with the following equations:

CHOtotal = (GIpolyol / 60) + CHOfiber
CHOfiber = (4 - kcal per gram) / 4
Alcohol Calories = kcal per gram - ((CHOtotal - CHOfiber) x 4)

Fitday PC allows you to enter the Alcohol Calories, which just lets me put any remaining Calories in as Alcohol. Here's the Numbers I came up with:

bevbme Wed, Apr-14-04 08:45

I have got to get that program..That is a great solution.

DianaO Wed, Apr-14-04 09:11

Me too. Looks awesome!