Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   The reality of alcohol (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=146335)

Jimbo I Sat, Nov-01-03 21:50

The reality of alcohol

Has anyone else noticed that when and if you drink alcohol your inhibitions towards LCing go down?
Since everyone here is honest about their cheats, I will be honest about mine.
I actually like to read about when people are not perfect and sometimes cheat, since THAT is reality.
Well, I ended up eating 2 cheeseburgers and 2 packs of onion rings (I know, doesn't that sound good?)
This was after I drank a lot. I notice that happens most of the time when I drink. And it's big cheats-not little ones.
I guess my admitting it to you all is the first step.
What does everyone else think?
I guess I have to learn not to drink and eat. LOL.
Oh yeah, I gained back 3 pounds.

potatofree Sat, Nov-01-03 21:59

Been there, done that. Funny how the alcohol hits you harder, then next thing you know....WHAT are these potato chips doing jumping down my throat?????

<sheesh> I guess I should be grateful. It's probably a LOT less of a problem than the men I used to meet while drinking!!! :lol: Potato chip remorse is gone by getting back on-plan and doing a few more minutes on the exercycle for a few days....

saltnpeppa Sat, Nov-01-03 22:05

Drinkign lowers your inhibitions. Whether it be food or other behavior. ;)

I've only done it twice since LC, but I penalize myslef by drinking TONS of water the next day.. I try to force myself to drink 15 glasses as a penalty, and to force that stuff OUT!

So far, only done it twice in almost 6 months.

Parasite Sat, Nov-01-03 22:07

Maybe its just me but I don't think about eating food when I drink. Not even since I've been LC'ing it.

My mind heads straight for the gutter - do not pass go, do not collect $200.

:lol:

amtuamor22 Sat, Nov-01-03 22:35

Alcohol def hits a lot harder on me because of low carbing. It ALWAYS leads me to a huge binge. One glass or two of wine and i'm drunk. Before I could drink and drink and drink. I'm a cheap drunk now. :lol: Anyway, I used to love wine and champagne, and now I completly lost my taste for it all together. Seems to bother bf, cause now we dont drink wine together any more. Yet, he still gets a bottle of champagne on special occasions, and i do dread drinking it, but i do anyway to be respectful.

Porcellino Sun, Nov-02-03 01:37

It's very funny seeing this post after just getting home from dinner. We went to Maggiano's and I had two glasses of wine, a steak, and a whopping piece (yes I ate the whole thing) of pumpkin cheesecake with cinnamon whipped cream. I absolutely notice a lowering of carb inhibitions if drinking. The saving grace is that I didn't put away the bread basket or any fries and I am going completely back on plan tomorrow morning. I guess that's what I get for being so smug about not having any Halloween candy :)

I will not even get near a scale until next week, because I don't want to know that one piece of cheesecake can do a lot of damage!

Stacey H Sun, Nov-02-03 02:41

Champagne....... hmmmmmmmmm

Sinbad Sun, Nov-02-03 02:50

I don't get the LC decreased alcohol tolerance. I've found that I will feel sober(ish) for quite a bit longer than I used to!
Of course, I still get a monster headache, but I also don't get the nausea that used to accompany any drinking (no matter how small the amount!)

Weird!

S

jaykay Sun, Nov-02-03 06:44

I'm there too Sinbad. At the start of LCing, I used to get drunk instantly. Now, I stay sober for ages, then, like you, end up with a thumping head the next day.
I also get a bit 'what the heck' about food too - that breaded escalope (we get them as takeaways, called parmesans, its a very local NE England thing) - I can't be bothered to 'de-bread' it and I'll maybe nick a bit of DH's pitta bread too.
Hmmm - somehow I've got to work out a way to avoid the alcohol - its the one thing I can't seem to develop any willpower about!!!!

Mousesmom Sun, Nov-02-03 08:53

I too am a really cheap date these days! Wine and coffee were the two things I never gave up (but should have). A glass of wine or 2 after a nice LC dinner and I'm half asleep in my recliner. It doesn't tend to get my eating non-LC foods, although my partner seems to find junk irresistable after a drink or two and especially in the presence of non LC'ers.

We had dinner with my parents the other night (both 100 lbs overweight) and they were giving me a hard time about my food choices. Not so dear partner caves in and orders a baked potato and a second carafe of wine while I eat my salad and chicken wings and sip my second glass and they stop bugging him and focus even more on me. I got up to go to the ladies room and my mom calls after "just what size ARE those pants anyway?" Followed by "you're too thin, you've lost too much"

They liked me better fat. Heavy sigh. Note to self: don't go out for dinner with parents until they grow up.

Have a good day all.

bostongirl Sun, Nov-02-03 09:21

I have a 3 drink max for this very reason! After 3 drinks I'm feeling pretty good and know if I go for the 4th.....bring on the bread.

angieK Sun, Nov-02-03 09:34

Last night I was having a couple of beer and those little bags of chips that were leftover from Halloween were looking pretty good, I was able to talk myself out of it and went to bed. But if I would of had one more beer then those bags may have disappeared.
angie

kmarie1351 Sun, Nov-02-03 09:48

I have no problem drinking on a lc woe. Dear partner and I enjoy a couple of cocktails in the evening. Of course, he weighs 20 pounds less than I do, so he has no problem drinking his favorites - White Russians. Sugar city! Actually, I've never been fond of sweet drinks anyway. I prefer my dry martini on the rocks. I used to only use three ice cubes, though, and now I fill the thing to the top with ice to make the drink less potent and last longer.

Wombatica Sun, Nov-02-03 09:57

Given my proclivity to imbibe large quantites, I've decided to swear off alcohol COMPLETELY during this time (pre-maintenance).... who knows... maybe forever. I look at things I think about putting into my body now--and what I USED to say to myself when I "dieted" was "NWC" standing for "Not Worth the Calories," Now I transform that to "NWC" standing for... uh, go ahead, extrapolate. I also took Atkins' advice about "no caffeine"... and gave up smoking about a year ago... it's SO weird... No nicotine or caffeine or alcohol... I don't know when I've ever been that "ine-" or "ol-" free in my whole life.

Let's see how it feels in a few months (I'm still quite the newbie).

For those of you who can actually have "a glass of wine," cheers!

suzanneM Sun, Nov-02-03 10:00

absolutely - after a few drinks, it's, awe what the hell - order that pizza!!!

i did great last night - went out for dinner & drinks. ordered chicken scallopini (mmmm cream sauce with lemon zest and loads of bacon) but told them to not put the pasta on the plate. normally, i'd just scooch the pasta to one side and not eat it. however, i had a few martoonis in me and i know for a fact that had i not told them to leave the pasta off, i'd have had just a nibble. which would lead to my sticking my entire face in the stuff (much like a pig at the trough).

still not over my carb cravings, so i'm not even going to risk having it right there in front of me when my resistance is lowered by booze!