Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   exercise offset carbs? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=45131)

pinhunter2 Mon, May-20-02 11:33

exercise offset carbs?

First thing I believe in the LC Lifestyle. So no flaming please!;-)

My basic understanding is like this, we burn carbs as energy when we have no carbs in our systems, the body breaks down stored fat and converts it to energy. Therefore it would seem scientifically possible to intake a few more carbs with more exercise.

If someone is not exercising then I understand the need for hardly no carbs. If some one is exercising then a few extra carbs would not hurt. I'm talking less than 150 a day. Please post your opinions.Thanks!

TeriDoodle Mon, May-20-02 11:48

I look at it this way. The fewer carbs the better. When I started BFL I was taking in maybe 25-30 carbs? But I soon found that my energy level was too low to get a good workout....so I played with it a little and have found that 35-45/day works for me just fine! :) If I get a little more some days, I don't sweat it.

razzle Mon, May-20-02 12:22

as long as they are good carbs, I don't think that hurts. What are good carbs? well, that's not an easy answer! for most people fruits and veggies, even higher-carb veggies like winter squash. For many people, lentils and garbazos are safe. For some people, gluten-free grains like quinoa and millet and brown rice. Flour and sugar are not good carbs for anyone, imo. And carbs shouldn't be eaten alone, but in combination with protein and fat.

In a way, you sound as if you're reinventing the Zone--you might want to read that and follow his advice regarding the sorts of carbs to eat, but UP the calories from what he says! ;) Also, keep reading on insulin and its effects (the Rosedale article, which is reprinted here under articles is particularly good)--you may realize that the control of insulin is really what you want to accomplish for the sake of not only fat loss but improved health.

The thing with bad carbs is, it's hard to stay honest with ourselves about them. If we crave, if we really look forward to them, if we keep going back for just one more bite...it's probably a food best avoided, even if it's a veggie or fruit or nut or supposedly healthy food. HTH

pinhunter2 Mon, May-20-02 12:48

Thanks,
My main concern is bread I like to eat bread with everything. Cookies and sweets don't really bother me. I currently eat whole grain bread at 10 carbs a slice. This may be terrible, but It's better than white bread, atleast I think so I may be wrong :p
I'm looking at some of the low-carb bread packages by atkins and keto. I'm not at this alone my wife is 10 times worst bread- aholic than I am. I have to find her some things to eat. Of course she doesn't buy into the eat meat, low carb way, no matter how layman or scientific I try to explain it to her. hehe. She still thinks fats make people fat.

rgarlough Mon, May-20-02 14:44

pinhunter2...

Once you've been LCing for a while, you won't even want any bread ;) Trust me. It's just the carb addict in you wanting the bread. Do yourself a favor and follow Atkin's 2 week Induction to the T and before you know it, your desires for bread will be broken! It's hard to believe but trust me, it's true!

Once you've gone through Induction, and you start OWL, you will begin to experiment and find your CCLL and perhaps a LC slice of bread will be ok for you now and then.

But you must follow the 2 week Induction before you can start adding carbs (more than from veggies) back to your diet.

Annie G.

PS - i can eat a couple slices a week and still be ok, but i eat a slice with plenty of protein and fat and i usually toast it. i eat the bread by natural ovens www.naturalovens.com