Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Nature's Flavors splenda-sweetened syrups (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=124774)

pitsiren123 Fri, Jan-05-01 16:39

If anyone is interested in flavored syrups or extracts, I ordered some a few months ago that are really good. They are by Nature's Flavors (www.naturesflavors.com) which I think is out of California. I ordered the snow cone syrups, the regular syrups and the flavor extracts. The marashino cherry and the raspberry ones were the best. The extracts are good too but i need more ideas on what to do with them. Right now I use them for cheesecakes and mousse flavorings. Any ideas? I have heard that you can buy plain liquid splenda there too which has zero carbs. Just a warning though--shipping seemed to take forever. They had alot on back order.
Jennifer

debbiedobson Fri, Jan-12-01 09:15

jennifer, do you live in canada? what were the shipping charges and duty like. my husband ordered golf clubs from the states. the clubs were almost $300. cdn, which he charged to visa. when they arrived we had to pay another $147.00 c.o.d! that was for duty, brokerage fees and gst. what a rip-off! i wanted him to refuse the clubs and get our money back from visa, but he's sure these clubs will improve his swing. lol!

[Edited by debbiedobson on 13-01-01 at 09:53]

pitsiren123 Sat, Jan-13-01 09:06

Hi,
No, I now live in Bradenton, Florida. I moved here from the Buffalo/ Niagara Falls, NY area in September. I used to go over to Canada weekly to stock up on low carb goodies. I miss that since we don't have those same goodies here. As for the syrups, I can't remember what the shipping was. They ended up not charging us for it since the order was late. It was worth it though.
Jennifer

debbiedobson Sat, Jan-13-01 12:30

jennifer, what kind of lowcarb goodies did you buy in canada. i always feel like we're missing out on all the lowcarb goodies available in the states. i'd love to know what you bought up here and in what stores. i'm dying to try those syrups. they're a very good price. i compared them to the davinci syrups. they have a terrific inventory too.
debbie

pitsiren123 Sat, Jan-13-01 17:09

Debbie,
I used to buy sugar free goodies with sugar alcohols and splenda in them. That kinds of sweetener has only been used here very recently. I particularly love Woodies candy bars which I got at Shoppers Drug Mart and a sugar free ice cream that I used to buy at another store whose name I can't remember (had a big orange sign). The ice cream came in many flavors but the Swiss Chocolate was the best. I can't remember the name. I also bought Splenda flavored orange Crush, another kind of chocolate bar (Shoppers Drug Mart again) and the Kerrs hard candies. I wish I could remember the names of the stores and companies. Try the Woodies if you can find them. The orange ones are the best. I miss those and am trying to get stores to carry them down here. Happy shopping!!
Jennifer

gecolon Sun, Jan-13-02 15:32

Nature's flavors

Does anyone know if Nature's flavors uses liquid splenda or pourable splenda in their sugar free flavored syrups. I purchased a couple of bottles when I saw they were flavored w/ splenda, but I didn't notice if they use the liquid splenda or the dry. Trying to save some carbs.

IslandGirl Mon, Jan-14-02 17:08

Manufacturers use a concentrate, the same concentrate that is used in liquid Splenda. No filler, like in the pourable or packet RETAIL Splenda is required, therefore no extra carbs from filler.

Now OTHER carbs might be in the product (like from glycerin or maltitol, for example), though. One must read the official Ingredients List, as you would for any product.

Sucralose on the Ingredients List is the concentrate only, no filler.

gecolon Wed, Jan-16-02 17:41

Thank you Island girl. Water, Sucralose ( Splenda ) Stabilizer, Sodium Benzonate , Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors and Colors.

IslandGirl Wed, Jan-16-02 19:34

I don't see any hidden carb-type ingredients there... except it's unknown what the stabilizer is made of. COULD be glycerine. I emailed Nature's Flavors a while back asking about the stabilizer but haven't got an answer.

You might want to give it a try, too, if you use a lot of the stuff....

JustAGirl Thu, Jan-17-02 19:26

Judi,
would you mind posting the response when you get it?

IslandGirl Thu, Jan-17-02 20:10

Of course, that was the whole point... but it hasn't shown up yet so I don't really expect one.

The more the merrier, though, so if more people go to the Nature's Flavors webpage and click on the email address of that fellow who says he's the contact there, and actually ask the question ("just what IS that stabilizer made of, please?"), the more likely he'll get annoyed enough to answer one of us.

Luck to us all!

JustAGirl Sat, May-04-02 18:07

jennifer,
have you ever tried davinci syrups? just wondering about differences in thickness.

juliemacg Tue, May-07-02 11:28

NaturesFlavors.com SF (Splenda) Syrups

Has anyone tried the sf syrups from Natures Flavors? Or the extracts (especially the chocolate!)? Would love to know how they compare to DaVinci's cause their certainly cheaper. Thanks!

Karla Tue, May-07-02 20:49

We have been buying the Davinci syrups for awhile and we like them a lot. Then I tried the chocolate and canteloupe Nature's Flavors sf syrups because they were cheaper; IMO they were absolutely and positively horrible, especially the chocolate.

Karla

JustAGirl Sun, Jul-28-02 22:57

judi.........

judi,
did you ever hear back from them?
~justagirl