Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [CKD] How Many Hours Before You Exercise? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=27873)

Chrissy Tue, Dec-18-01 19:43

How Many Hours Before You Exercise?

I am not one to get out of bed and exercise with out eating, nor do I have the energy to do so, just too many things to do in the morning before I step out the door to work. However I love to exercise in the evenings, after my supper, but how many hours should I wait before I workout after I eat my meal and how many hours after I workout can I have my evening snack. I’ve been reading the Protein Power book and I want that growth hormone happening thing! :wave:

Chrissy Wed, Dec-19-01 16:41

Hello, knock, knock, anyone????

I am reading the PP book, and it says to exercise on a empty stomach, is it best to exercise first thing in the morning without eating? :help:

OR

If I workout in the evenings will my stomach be empty? Or how many hours does the average person have to wait to get a empty stomach before they can workout?

much appreciated :wave:

Trainerdan Wed, Dec-19-01 17:55

well ...

The time for your stomach to be "empty" varies greatly, depending on your own body's rate of digestion, as well as what you ate, hydration levels, etc.

But, the standard answer is 2.5 hours after a meal.

However, from personal experience, I find that I have much better workouts when I have the proper fuel in (I am speaking of resiastamce training here ... everyone knows how I feel about empty stomach cardio)

I tried the GH release thing (which has been preached for years by some in the bodybuilding community ... I thing Dr. Fred Hatfield was big on it, but I may be off on that one ...) My workouts were always lackluster, and I found it hard to substantiate any gains made by GH release due to training that way.

I feel better having a protein shake 45 mins. prior to my weight training, and another right after weight training ... then a meal 30 mins to 1 hour later. My muscles feel "fuller" and it enhances recovery.

I HATE feeling hungry while working out. :mad:

But everyone is different, give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Chrissy Wed, Dec-19-01 19:45

Thank you, thank you Dan the Man!!!! :thup:

In all my life and of all the exercise regimens I was on, I never was one to get up early with the birds and workout without food, let me tell, I tried my dam hardies too, but only failed after a week or so.........to me that is not natural to workout without fuel, I don’t like that dizzy feeling either.. On my days off, I love to get up early, eat and then workout, but my workdays are pretty hectic, I think I get a good workout when I get there anyways. lol .....I get elderly folks ups for the day, its pretty hard work and most of gals are pretty well perspiring after. lol
If I work out before my job, by 3pm, I’m exhausted and just want to crawl in bed. I guess my metabolism is different from the early risers.

I don’t know what it is, but right after my supper, I feel I can run a marathon, I have so much energy at this time that I feel I get a better workout. Must be the protein! I will though wait 2 ½ after though. Thanks bud!

One more question for tonight, Ok, why do you say empty stomach cardio, is that no good, because that is what I’m doing tonight? :hyper:

fern2340 Wed, Dec-19-01 21:36

Chrissy-
If you check out the thread on AM cardio on an empty stomach you will find that Dan and many others (including me) are very PRO AM empty stomach cardio. Check it out!

Linda

Chrissy Wed, Dec-19-01 23:23

Thanks Fern, I'll see if I can find it :)