Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Canadian made low carb chocolate (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=84816)

Rikke Wed, Feb-05-03 16:49

Canadian made low carb chocolate

Hello all,

I just finished reading a great article in the Feb. 5/03 edition of the Vancouver Province. (Page A21)

A B.C. man started a chocolate company after learning he was diabetic and has had great success!

I'm about to order some of them myself, and I'm very happy to be supporting a 'local' business.

Ross Chocolates is this name of the company.

Ruralgurl Wed, Feb-05-03 19:04

Mmmmmm!

Wow that sounds great Rikke!
You know I think I just might have had that chocolate at one time!
Saved the wrapper but never found it again, wraapper or chocolate.
No I just looked it up on the web different chocolate.
Ooh ooh ooh! I must get my hands on some :p
I just drove to Edalene dairy in Lyndon Washington and bought ice cream for the family and AA butter for 1.69 U.S. as well as whipping cream for me. It is a great dairy. Well my daughter had a cone and oh it was so hard to resist, but I did :roll:

I see you can order Ross Chocolate all over the place, but they do not appear to have thier own website. Do you happen to know where they are located Rikke?
For others here is a nutritional info for one

Ross Chocolate Bar - Supreme Milk Chocolate 1.2oz (34g)

Nutrition Facts
Serving size (34g) 1 Bar
Amount Per Serving
Calories 167 Calories from fat 112

Total Fat 12.4g
Saturated Fat 7.7g
Cholesterol 7mg
Sodium 29mg
Total Carbohydrate 3.3g
Dietary Fiber 1.0g
Sugars 0g
Protein 2.4g

Ingredients
Maltitol, Cocoa Butter, Full Cream Powder, Cocoa Mass, Lecithin, Natural Vanilla. Allergy Alert: May contain traces of various nuts

Thanks again Rikke you have made my day and given me something to look really forward to!!!
Here is the homepage as well, not a great one I am afraid but some good info:

http://www.rosschocolates.bizland.com/

steph z Wed, Feb-05-03 21:27

Ross' chocolates are THE best. Made with Belgian chocolate and I have yet met a person who can tell they are L-C.

Now there is a debate, about how L-C maltitol really is as these carbs are pre-deducted from the carb count. I too am a diabetic (Type 1 - take 4 insulin shots per day - less when under 20 grams of carbs per day) and have tested my blood sugar, before and after eating a bar, and found it did not raise my blood sugar. But maltitol may affect people differently.

How much are you paying for the Ross' where you are?

:q:

Rikke Wed, Feb-05-03 21:56

It doesn't appear that the chocolates are sold through the
website Ruralgurl listed, but I found another that does sell them:

http://www.lowcarbchocolates.com/

When you get to the 'pay' screen, there's a space for coupon codes, and I discovered that the word 'newbie' (no apostrophes) will get you free shipping for first time ordering.

This site lists all bars on sale for $1.65/each, and a sampler pack of 10 different bars for $15.95/pack (all prices listed are American)

Ruralgurl: I used to always drive to Blaine and Bellingham, Washington to get eggs, milk, butter and cheese. Tilamook Dairy Farm in Oregon was another favourite stop. With the exchange rate these days, it's just not worth it anymore! :) Also, the company is based in Shuswap (on the shores of Shuswap Lake.)

Low carb chocolate for all, yay! :)

Ruralgurl Wed, Feb-05-03 23:24

Not paying American

Really!!!
Woo Hoo my best friend lives in Salmon Arm! She is a total carboholic too! Soooo ...any delicious low-carb item I can suggest to her will be much appreciated.
I am headed up there in April as well for an overdue visit!
I am definitely not ordering a Canadian product through the States though.
By the way Steph Z there is an interesting article on that web page above, the bizland one, about the effect of malitol on insulin levels. Yea it is not much of a website I am afraid.
Rikki I emailed them to find out where the chocolate is available in the Lower Mainland, if I hear back I'll let you know. I don't get the Province but I am betting there will be a lot of interest because of the article!
Regarding Lyndon I bought
4 litres of Gourmet ice cream (not 4 me)
3lbs of butter, one is unsalted
4litres of choc milk (not 4 me)
1 litre of whipping cream
1 dozen free range eggs (my girls aren't laying)
A waffle ice cream for the drive home (not 4 me)
20.00 bucks american... can is worth .66 US
I figure that would all cost me about 42.00 Canadian if I bought it here. So still a good deal even with exchange plus the quality is better.

Rikke Thu, Feb-06-03 01:39

That's funny, I couldn't make sense of ordering a Canadian product from an American company and paying American prices either!

May I ask where you are? You refer to going to Salmon Arm as 'going up to...'. Kind of like my description of where places are. (A newbie to Vancouver asked where Kelowna was: "Up and right" lol)

You did get some great deals there! I went to Point Roberts, Washington last summer and paid $10/U.S. for a flat of beer, and $4.50/U.S. for a bag of Dorito's (pre lc of course!) I don't get the logic! I then bought breaky supplies for 8 people and when I checked my Visa at home the next week: $64!!!!!

I've now found quite a few sites that sell Ross Chocolates - so far all American and prices differ by about 20 cents here and there.

:) Erika

slimmin Thu, Feb-06-03 10:02

the cheapest online place I found was TorontoDirect.com.

They charge between 1.34 - 1.42 US, depending on quantity (and they have sales, too), and shipping in Canada is free!

steph z Thu, Feb-06-03 17:23

There is a cheaper online store:
www.lowcarbfooddepot.ca

in $CND - $17 for 10 bars. That is Canadian dollars. Or $1.05 $US.

This is a Canadian site, btw.

Ruralgurl Thu, Feb-06-03 20:53

Hmm...That's about it $17.00 bucks Canadian and $1.05 U.S. :D

I know you meant per bar Steph Z but I couldn't resist! :wave:

colinjn Fri, Feb-07-03 12:51

Local Suppliers

Hi All,
You can get Ross Chocolate bars locally through Alive Vitamin Stores ( buy by the case and get a double discount, no GST + 10%) And Shoppers Drug Mart (if one carries them then it is available to all of them, just ask) and various local drug store eg. Peoples, as well as vitamin stores. The best price I found was in Prince George Shoppers at $1.49 and People's at $1.59.

I noticed that the formulation of the dark chocolate changed about a year ago and will be writing them about it. It used to be very creamy, but they probably had shipping problems with low melting temperatures. That is the problem with anything that is mass distributed. Atkins doesn't even like shipping chocolate in the summer, if it cannot be refrigerated!

Colin

Ruralgurl Fri, Feb-07-03 15:08

Thank You Colinjn

I will venture forth to the Shoppers near me! :spin:

jenlocarb Fri, Feb-07-03 22:18

Ross Chocolates Yummy!!!

Hi everyone,

I just finished a Ross Chocolate bar -- milk chocolate and it is excellent. I must say that I think that it has a mild laxative effect however. I got mine at Nature's Fare in Kelowna at $1.48 per bar.

I have to say that my preference is the Cavalier Milk Chocolate bar. They have the same amount of carbs and I know that London Drugs has them everywhere. They are $1.99 a bar but worth it during the PMS time! LOL!

Anyway -- thought I would share!

Cheers

Jen

IslandGirl Tue, Feb-11-03 03:27

The Cavalier bar is MUCH bigger as well (and yes, it is Belgian chocolate).

The 'woodies' biscuit bars are also sugarfree chocolate and available in London Drugs' and Shopper's and Save-On Foods pharmacy section (so far, plenty of other places to check).

The Sorbee chocolates are available in Walmart and Zellers' pharmacy sections.

There are more but heck, I hate to repeat myself ....

All this information is available in the Products forum :D and welcome to all you new Canadian LCers to this active and informative website and forums. :devil: :D :devil: You will really enjoy it here, we've got lots of stuff to share with you that we've been collecting and discussing for more than 2 years now...

sig: Products Forum Moderator

Ruralgurl Tue, Feb-11-03 13:45

OUCH!!

Gee Islandgirl!

I feel like we just got a big smack for discussing a Canadian made product in the Canada forum!
Perhaps if it would help, this thread should be moved to the product link, but frankly, a person could spend HOURS searching through two years of material to find what they want.
Yea I realize that information gets repeated over and over but what can one do?
New members new threads I guess!
:daze:

Rikke Tue, Feb-11-03 15:39

I'm sure you read the same stuff over and over again since this forum started, sorry. I didn't intend to get people so worked up.

Silly me, I had it in my head that this forum was supportive of people joining this WOL and learning about the great bounty of products/resources available to us............