Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   12 hours of sleep? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=106442)

linnyhb Mon, May-19-03 10:35

12 hours of sleep?

I just finished my second week of induction and am debating whether to continue with it. My problem is that I seem to be sleeping unusually long hours since I started induction. I use to sleep 7-9 hours and wake up on my own, not necessarily refreshed and hopping with energy, but awake :daze: Now I need 12 hours of sleep :eek: I can't keep wasting half my day to sleep. I'm taking my Basic 3, extra potassium, magnesium, and calcium. I'm drinking at least 8-8oz of water if not more a day.

Is this normal?

Linda

csj Mon, May-19-03 10:37

It doesn't sound typical. What are you eating? Are you exercising?

Cindy

Alina Mon, May-19-03 10:42

No, this is not typical....can you post what you're eating?
And is TOM (time of the month) on the way??? I was totally sleepy before TOM first 2 times on this WOE.

Alina

yvonne326 Mon, May-19-03 10:45

I wish I could sleep 8 hours! Since low-carbing I have so much energy that I usually get 7 hours of sleep max and feel great all day. I sleep like a log too when I used to have problems before!

whyspers Mon, May-19-03 10:56

Actually, it does sound typical to me. The first month or so, I couldn't hold my head up by 6:00 p.m. After that first month, though...I now wake up very early, even without an alarm clock and have no trouble getting up...for the first time in my life...lol. I used to be able to sleep through a train wreck and could NEVER get up without an alarm clock. Now its great...I have plenty of energy and sleep great, etc.

Just hang in there...you will adjust and then you will wonder what you were so worried about :)

L

linnyhb Mon, May-19-03 11:27

Here's what I've been typcially consuming:

Breakfast
2 eggs, and bacon/sausage/ham, decaf coffee or tea

Lunch
2 cups salad & vegies with some sort of protein for lunch with an oil based dressing or ranch dressing.

Dinner
Meat with 1 cup of vegies. For example lastnight we had Italian sausage with sauerkraut and mustard.

Snack
Things like pepperoni with a bit of gouda, or ham with havarti, or pork rinds dipped in hot sauce and ranch dressing.

According to fitday my carb consumption is usually between 15 and 20 after fiber is subtracted. And my fat\carbs\protien is typcially 65\3-4\31.

Come to think of it TOM is on its way and I have been starving this past week so maybe that's it ;)

Thanks for the help.

Linda

linnyhb Mon, May-19-03 11:30

Btw, haven't exercised since the start of induction 2 weeks ago because I've been so busy packing and cleaning the house since we're moving in a couple of weeks. :p

Javy Mon, May-19-03 11:31

I definitely sleep A LOT less on Atkin's, maybe you are not getting enough fat for energy? Does sound very unusual.

csj Mon, May-19-03 13:04

linnyhb - You've got a lot going on in your life right now. Moving is stressful, even when it is a good thing (I'm hoping it is a good thing in your case). Getting ready to move is a lot of extra hard work - in addition to whatever other work you do. Maybe you are just tired!

Cindy

Pax_dl Tue, May-20-03 05:36

Sleeping is nice

I sleep more since LC too, that is I start earlier. My theory is that the carbs I used to eat were keeping me from getting tired. I like to sleep a little more. What I’d like to know is, when you wake up do you feel awake faster then normal? That’s what I hear everyone say and that’s what I experience too.

Bye,

Pax_dl

linnyhb Tue, May-20-03 11:57

When I do wake up I do feel 'awake' and am not groggy or yawning,...so i guess there is a good thing in all this :)

orzabelle Tue, May-20-03 13:23

I WISH I needed less sleep, and had more energy on low-carb! No difference...but I get a lot of exercise, and need my 8 hours (at least) every night, or else I'm sleepy, sleepy all day long.