Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Sweating at Night! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=86532)

juliebugs Thu, Feb-13-03 13:10

Sweating at Night!

Hi All,

I am wondering about when we actually lose the weight. I read somewhere that most weight comes off while you are sleeping??? I have been sweating a lot while I sleep and I am wondering if that is a sign that I am sweating some of the pounds off? I know this is a strange question, but thought I would run it by you for some idea's. Thanks, julie

Arrow Thu, Feb-13-03 13:35

Where does it go?

Hi all,

Julie, I have absolutely no idea where lost weight goes.

But, during the night when you are drinking nothing your kidneys are working to remove water. Sweating removes water. Even when you breathe you lose water through a small amount of moisture lose every time you exhale. Also at night there is nothing in your stomach.

I step on the scale right after my morning's shower, and I'm guessing that's when a person weighs the least.

But I have no idea where "real" lost weight goes. Sigh. I do know that sometimes it doesn't go.

Interesting question though.

WillDuke Thu, Feb-13-03 13:49

I don't know about sweating, but my first couple of weeks on the Atkins diet I felt that my body temperature increased. I just felt hot at night. I assumed it was the whole Ketosis thing.

KoKo Thu, Feb-13-03 14:02

Hi there

I've been hot at night, but not sweating. I thought maybe it was "Hot Flashes" as its fast approaching that time of life for me, but since I don't know for sure what a hot flash feel like its hard to say. :confused: Usually I'm cold, very very cold, so this is something new for me.

manucpa Thu, Feb-13-03 18:57

My night sweats also increased , not right away ,but more as I lost my belly fat. I assumed it was because I had less estrogen since my understanding is that estrogen is stored in fat, especially belly fat. I've added black cohosh to my supplements and it seems to help

Jezebel Thu, Feb-13-03 19:43

I have also been getting very hot and sweaty at night, but during induction I had no other ketosis signs, I am hoping it was ketosis...but yes night sweats... I will be interested to find out more about them..

yannick Thu, Feb-13-03 20:01

Sweating at night

Sweating at night can be caused by many things.

If you are using a fatburner with ephedrine this can make you sweat big time.

If you drink some tea, or some green tea or any other hot beverages that can also make you sweat big time.

If you are nervous, stressed out, or sick with a virus.

I do beleive that sweating can be related to weightloss, not only water loss and i have some proof.

When you have a fever your body temperture is elevated so your body burns more calories then normal, same thing happens when you use a fatburner.

Same thing happens when you take a sauna or hot bath, but your body temperture is elevated for a short amount of time, not like when you have a fever and you sweat all night.

SmallerMe Thu, Feb-13-03 21:33

Re: Sweating at night

Quote:
When you have a fever your body temperture is elevated so your body burns more calories then normal, same thing happens when you use a fatburner.

I am no doctor, but isn't it the other way around. Your elevated body temperatures is a result of burning more calories rather than burning more calories is a result of increased body temperature.

Personally, I think feeling warmer in situations where you used to feel cold (i.e. while sleeping) is a good thing. It means your body is working better and your burning calories. Your metabolic rate has probably increased. I suspect you were cold before because you body was trying to conserve energy and stored it as fat. Now that you have 'trained' your body to know it has a steady source of fat, it does its job and keeps you warm at night. The sweating might just mean that you no longer need 6 blankets and a heavy comforter anymore.