Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What is Gluten Flour? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=34460)

lcon109 Mon, Feb-18-02 14:25

What is Gluten Flour?

I have a recipe that I'm trying and it calls for Gluten Flour. Do you buy it in a health food store? Can I make my own gluten flour? I have gluten powder already.

Anyone have any idea?

Lisa

Erin4980 Mon, Feb-18-02 18:48

I have never had success with gluten flour...

Everything I try to cook with it, it turns out badly. I bought mine in the health or organic section of the grocery store.

Good Luck,
Erin

rustpot Mon, Feb-18-02 20:02

You did ask

First, the Definition of Gluten:

Gluten is a protein found in Rye, Wheat, Oats, Barley & Triticale. ("Gliadin" is part of the gluten structure. Gliadin is present in varying amounts in these grains. The combination of gliadin and glutenen makes gluten.) This protein gives structure, elasticity and sponginess.

Gluten Flour:

Also called "vital wheat gluten flour", "instant gluten flour", "pure gluten flour", and "vital wheat gluten" depending on vendor and manufacturer. This is flour with the starch and bran removed. Gluten is the natural protein in the wheat endosperm which, when combined with water, forms a taffy-like dough. This retains the gas and steam from baking. Bob's Red Mill vital wheat gluten flour – and any other brand of vital wheat gluten flour (such as Hodgson Mill) is 75 to 80% protein. This yields approximately 24 grams of carbohydrate per cup. The process of keeping mostly the protein constituents of the wheat and very little of the starch makes this product useful in low-carbohydrate baking and cooking.

I have never tried it but am told it is absolutely dreadfull!

lcon109 Mon, Feb-18-02 22:45

You're right.. I did ask!

Everything I ever wanted to know about gluten flour but was afraid to ask! LOL

I did pick some up at the local health food co-op and made a Popover recipe that I found out there on the web. They were nearly good and I'm going to tweak it a bit and see if I can't make it better. The carbs are low enough and the taste and texture were very good.

I was simply amazed at the amount of "health" food items, supplements, etc. that are out there.. larger market than I realized.

Lisa

ALEKA Wed, Sep-10-03 19:02

Actually, I like the Gluten better than soy flour. It has a more neutral taste for baking and cooking. Sometimes the taste of soy is a bit gaggy for me- so usually I try to mix various flours together--like almond flour(ground almonds) flax flour-etc. Lucky for me my husband isn't a picky eater. Alice

Iowagirl Thu, Sep-11-03 14:11

I'm suprised to hear everyone has had such bad luck. I've used it and it seemed to work well. I will admit I only used small quantities, however.

JV1311 Sat, Sep-13-03 20:25

I mix it with soy flour too, and for sweets I also use some peanut flour (almonds cost a ton here, gotta improvise) or grated coconut to make it more neutral.