Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Counting Calories???? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=108664)

HollyM_WA Tue, May-27-03 11:34

Counting Calories????

I see people are counting calories. When are you suppose to do that?

I thought it doesn't matter to count calories--only carbs.

So should I be counting calories?

Holly

MaryToU Tue, May-27-03 11:42

If you are going to count calories, the rule is 10 to 12 times your current weight. Some people use 10 to 12 times there goal weight. A good tracking site is www.Fitday.com its free! Keep in mind, it is also best to get you fats in the 65 to 70% range. This works best for me!

igaligal7 Tue, May-27-03 11:47

I have been the most successful when I count my calories. I use 10-12 times my goal weight. I think this helps to break bad eating habits and get you more intuned with how many calories your body needs. That way you can be more succesful during maintenance.

wsgts Tue, May-27-03 12:07

Not yet for you

Unless you have stalled out a lot, or maybe just curious, don't worry about it yet. Atkins talks about this in the metabolically resistance chapter. If you are just getting started, and everything is going ok for you, don't bother.

Later,
wsgts

WeeOne Tue, May-27-03 12:45

IMHO,

When you get to the last 15 to 20 lbs to lose, calories are important. I think that Atkins is hoping that we will figure this out without counting, because we will stop eating when our body tells us that it is full. The more weight you lose, the less your body needs. Unfortunately for some of us, free feeding isn't going to work at this point. I could easily eat 2000 calories a day, and that is way to much for me to lose. That extra 400 calories that I am consuming does make a difference. That is why I decided this week that I am going to count calories.

So I think it is up to the individual, if you have really good self control, and know your limits to the T, than counting calories may not be necessary for you.

Wee

erbadger Tue, May-27-03 13:05

I also have found counting cals to be necessary. When I first started I was able to lose without, but I think I adjusted to the shock of low carbs and couldnt. I eat no more than 12x my weight (I do average it over the week) and am now in a great losing pattern. But, I am now only 6 lbs from my goal, so its not a surprise that cals count!!!!

I calculated my BMR to determine how many cals I need to eat to maintain (without including exercise). it was about 1950. Then I figured out that since 1 lb=3500 cals/7=500, I eat 1950-500=1450. (i end up eating more as I work out a lot) BMR is dependant on your weight, height, activity level and age. It is pretty accurate. I have the calculation in my journal somewhere if you are interested.

WeeOne Tue, May-27-03 14:26

Hey erbadger,

Good thinking about averaging the calories up throughout the week. That is kind of the WW way with their point system. I guess as long as we are staying within our carbs we calculate calories as we need them throughout the week. Sometimes I am hungry and I know that I am eating too many calories, then other days, I have to force myself to eat. I never thought to just make sure that throughout the week I don't exceed so many calories.

Thank you so much, you just made my day go better!!!

Wee

Kaillean Tue, May-27-03 14:45

Holly,

You seem to be losing very well. Unless you begin to slow down or feel you're eating too much, I wouldn't worry about it. In these early stages, carbs are you main focus.

If it ain't broken....

Kaillean