Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   New McCullough book (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=35668)

razzle Thu, Feb-28-02 11:53

New McCullough book

The second Fran McCullough Book Living Low-Carb is a very nice one. 1/3 of the book is an introduction to the concept, a quick plan comparison, and some tips for (as the title says) living LC. Not as extensive as the Doreen tips, but useful information nonethless.

The second 2/3 of the book is all recipes--and nobody does LC better than McCullough (at least nobody with a major press published LC cookbook--our own Karen here is a great chef, too)

The book was in my library--if like me you can't afford a full LC library at home, look in your local library for it. Worth troubling to find for the recipes, I think.

gwilson38 Thu, Feb-28-02 11:56

Thanks for the info and for all the info U provide!

Karen Thu, Feb-28-02 12:14

I like the info and the way it's written. She has some great ideas, but I find some of the recipes insanely high in carbs. I don't agree with her use of sugar.

But, I still think it's a must have for a low-carb library! :D

When I get around to an LC cookbook, I'll be asking Doreen to co-author. ;)

Karen

clwydd Thu, Feb-28-02 18:51

I also hate the way the carb counts are given. I know it says "Carbohydrate: ?g plus ?g fiber," but my mind is always subtracting the fibre all over again.

I'm sure I'll use this book for maintenance, but right now it's on the shelf, because I can't afford the carbs in the recipes I want to try.

Susan

razzle Fri, Mar-01-02 07:09

karen, you're right of course...the one dessert recipe I did copy down, I just converted all the sugar to splenda (almost without thinking). I don't understand the point of sugar when splenda tastes just like it...

and thank you, gwilson. :)

Lessara Fri, Mar-01-02 11:36

Curious

What's her SECOND book?! What's the name of her first one?

Karla Fri, Mar-22-02 10:20

Fran McCullough's first book is The Low Carb Cookbook, which should be a staple in any low-carb coobook collection. It is full of really useful information and ideas for the LC cook, especially for making induction and ongoing weight loss tasty and interesting.

I have found her second book, Living LowCarb very useful as well, although Karen's right that some of the desserts are pretty high in carbs, with a few notable exceptions. I use her ice cream recipe, which is very low carb and delicious (although I add xanthan gum so that it stays creamy in the freezer). Her recipe for meringue is terrific, as is the chocolate whipped cream for serving with it. I also use the meringues for my version of strawberry shortcake; I put the whipped cream on the meringue, then the strawberries.

I have tried several of the main dishes and vegetable dishes and liked them a lot.

Just my 2 cents.

Karla

doreen T Fri, Mar-22-02 10:34

I have both books.

It was from the second book that I posted her recipe for the HomeFries / Hash Browns, which received rave reviews from our members here ... and many suggestions and ideas and substitutions posted. Great breakfast accompaniment .. or any meal for that matter. Check it out :cool:

Doreen

pixiechick Fri, Mar-22-02 15:01

I have both those books too. They are great additions to any low carb library. :)

Melberry Sat, Mar-23-02 05:26

I saw the first book today in Borders! We don't have much in the way of low carb cookbooks in Australia, apart from the diet books themselves. It had some fabulous recipes. Even Chocolate Mousse! And I loved the recipe for Strawberry-Rhubarb Mousse. Unfortunately, it was a bit pricey ($52 Australian which is about $100 American I think) so I'll look around a bit more and see if I can find it anywhere else. I notice Amazon.com has got it cheaper, it's just the postage that kills it for me.

Melberry
:)