Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   coffee (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=25539)

jenp Wed, Nov-14-01 15:16

coffee

I'm pretty new here, and I have a question. I've only been low-carbing again for a few weeks, and I think I'm doing well, but I have questions concerning the coffee I drink everyday. I count the carbs, and try to compensate with water, but I was wondering if anyone here who has been on a low-carb diet for a long period of time could relate their experiences. I know PP says coffee is okay, and Adkins doesn't. Has anyone cut out coffee and had better results??? Has anyone kept drinking it and reached their goal without any problems?? Thanks for any input!

Karen Thu, Nov-15-01 01:48

I have not reached goal, but I'm very close to it and I drink coffee everyday.

The great thing about not drinking coffee is stopping the dependency on it to kick start you into awake mode.

Karen

grrlpwer Thu, Nov-15-01 04:01

I'm not a big coffee drinker but i have heard good things about drinking some coffee before working out...i think i'm gonna give it a try!!

sunsight13 Thu, Nov-15-01 04:24

It is good to hear that some of you drink coffee. I am not an addict but enjoy it occasionally. I like it a couple of times a week and always on Sunday mornig. I have been doing that and still losing but felt like I was cheating. Now I can come out of the coffee closet and fess up. :D

Susan

AngelaR Thu, Nov-15-01 05:33

I'm on Protein Power, and still drink 2 cups in the morning. I used to drink coffee all day at work, but I don't have the taste for it anymore. I'm managing 4 bottles of water at work now instead.

Funny thing is that I actually PREFER the water as long as it is at room temperature. When I switched from drinking ice cold water to room temp, I found it so much easier to consume not only 8 glasses, but usually 10 a day.

I'm also finding that cigarettes just don't taste the same either, and have cut back. This is exactly what I was hoping would happen...get control of my eating, then be disciplined enough to kick another nasty habit, although I expect that when "quit day" comes, the cravings will be more difficult to deal with. This is definitely a way of life change for for me..not just a quick fix. That means losing other bad habits too. I want to be healthy enough to enjoy my retirement which is already visible over the horizon!

I haven't had a problem with discipline at all with PP. Bread was my undoing. Now I look at the word bread and all I see are the letters b--ad :D

KASSY Thu, Nov-15-01 08:54

I used to drink 4 cups a day before I started Atkins 11 days ago. I have now cut it back to just 1 cup a day on weekends. I had terrible headaches the first couple of days. I suspect that is from getting rid of the caffeine in my system as well as the sugar.
I don't really crave the coffee as much as I thought I would. Knowing that I allow my self 2 cups a weekend, holds me out all week. I do, however enjoy drinking water alot more than I used to!

jenp Thu, Nov-15-01 10:13

Thanks for the responses! I think maybe I'll stick with the coffee...although maybe cut down a bit. ( I can honestly say I only drink two 'cups' a day, but you should see the size of the cups!!) I don't know if I could take cutting out carbs and caffeine at the same time. Maybe a month or two down the road. Now if I could only do something about increasing my water intake, too. Maybe I'll try the room temperature thing....

Jen