Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Tabasco (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=397172)

robb2000af Thu, Jun-11-09 01:20

Tabasco

A friend and I started the induction four days ago and he told me that I can't have tabasco. Is this correct??

Thanks for any help!
Robb

Cleveland Thu, Jun-11-09 05:00

the original tabasco has no carbs. I think it is just hot peppers and maybe vinegar. Here is some info about carbs-
http://www.tabasco.com/taste_tent/m...thy_choices.cfm

The worst case scenerio is it has less than 1 carb a serving and they can get away with putting 0 on the label. but I doubt it has more than a scant amount.

they do have some other flavors that taste a tad sweet so check the ingredients and label.

Otherwise enjoy. I would not give up the hot sauce!

tiredangel Thu, Jun-11-09 05:07

Agreed. Fried eggs are just not the same without Tabasco. And life without hotwings would be very sad :(

macabrem Thu, Jun-11-09 12:52

Regular Tabasco is allowed on induction. They do have an Habanero pepper sauce that is more fruity, but I think it only has one carb per serving - and I dare you to eat more than one serving. ;)

I think Tabasco, Mrs. Dash, and herb/salt/pepper grinders all make great low carb condiments.

Troglodyte Thu, Jun-11-09 13:09

Try Sambal Oelek or Matouk's Hot Sauce...vinegar and chiles, that's all...very fiery i put it on everything, low-carb and makes Tabasco taste like water!

robb2000af Thu, Jun-11-09 14:47

Thanks everyone for the answers.

Robb

Shellyf34 Thu, Jun-11-09 15:48

Go for it

There are no carbs in Tobasco...Have at it!

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 tsp. (5g)
Amount per Serving
Calories 0 Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 30mg 1%
Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 0g 0%
Vitamin A 4%
Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 0.0% Carbs 0.0%
Protein 0.0%

robb2000af Thu, Jun-11-09 17:47

Thank you for the reply:-)

Cleveland Thu, Jun-11-09 18:47

I noticed the website had some low carb recipes, along with the low fat. Kudos to them for a nod to us- and some of the recipes looked great. Tabasco has grown on me over the years, but I love habenero/scotch bonnet sauces myself. I also like sriracha.mmmm...but small amount of carbs so I don't use it as often as my tastebuds would like

macabrem Fri, Jun-12-09 08:02

As much as I love hot sauces, I tend to actually prefer putting crushed red pepper flakes on my food (like what is on the tables at a lot of pizza places), and I also get this stuff that is used in some Asian dishes - it is like hot pepper flakes in oil and sometimes garlic is mixed in. I forget the name of it, but I bought some at an international food store in St. Louis.

DTris Fri, Jun-12-09 09:52

I prefer water based hot sauces and using ground pepper. I am growing my own habaneros and ghost peppers (the hottest pepper in the world) to use. Capsaicin is a known thermiogenic that will help with weight loss. I wouldn't avoid it at all.

sydnarella Sat, Jun-13-09 16:46

I eat it on induction.

Lozzz Sat, Jun-13-09 17:32

On the subject of hot sauce..

Is Frank's Redhot Original Pepper Sauce okay for induction too? The ingredients being:

Aged Cayenne Peppers (35%), Vinegar, Water, Salt, Garlic Powder.

It says 0 carb per 5ml.

capmikee Sat, Jun-13-09 21:16

I can't imagine why someone would say tabasco is not ok on induction.

There are other reasons not to have it, but not things I'd recommend worrying about now. I don't use it because vinegar makes my head go funny, and I'm not sure if I can handle nightshades. But I really miss hot sauce and I think I will try it again someday.

Sriracha is great stuff. If it weren't for the vinegar I'd probably use it and not worry about the sugar in it.

macabrem Sun, Jun-14-09 06:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzz
On the subject of hot sauce..

Is Frank's Redhot Original Pepper Sauce okay for induction too? The ingredients being:

Aged Cayenne Peppers (35%), Vinegar, Water, Salt, Garlic Powder.

It says 0 carb per 5ml.

Yes, you can use Frank's. Each of those ingredients alone can be eaten on induction, so combined in the hot sauce works well too.