Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Sabatoge! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=61663)

asugar Wed, Sep-18-02 04:43

Sabatoge!

My husband came home from work yesterday and ate all my deviled eggs. Whenever I have been on any diet, it seems as though he declares open season on whatever it is I'm planning to eat.

lisaf Wed, Sep-18-02 08:01

Sounds like you need to start marking your food...or at least create a hands-off spot in your fridge!

vivi621 Wed, Sep-18-02 08:11

You have a problem, I agree... You need to sit him down and explain how you are feeling... Sometimes and it is in most cases. Your husband really dose not want you to lose the weight.. And this is the way they try to sabatoge you.. (Even if they do not know that this is what they are doing)

You state that he always dose this to you.. and when he dose this... do you not have any other ways or means of eating the next meal, hence you are off your diet.

You need to know that this really is not his fault and it is Definitly not yours... He may feel you will be better off with out him if you are looking better than you are now.

I read an article in a paper once discribing just what is happening to you..

You need to tell him my food is off limits to you........
This is something I want and need to do.... and if you continue to eat my food I will fail..... and I am not failing ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck........

regards......

Vivian :wave:

ginkirk Wed, Sep-18-02 08:43

Wooo! Vivian --- well said....

[Rant ON] I think it's hard for some people (esp. women?) to make a declaration that they're actually doing something for themSELVES. I know I do. One of the reasons for starting LC for me was improving myself & I'm telling you it was a foreign concept that was difficult for us all to swallow. My family is used to my production rather than my consumption. Mom cooks, cleans, takes care of kids & works full-time too. Mom hasn't been out with a friend for more than 6 months. Mom has no personal life. Well -- not any more. This is not called "way of life" for nothing. [OK -- Rant OFF]

Yeah...I sound strong but I'm sometimes wishywashy & the resistance is there. My husband will make enough dinner for everybody but me because he says he can't figure out what I can eat. He's not being deliberately difficult or whatever, but I do take it as a little passive jab at my way of eating. Sounds like you might be getting a bit of passive resistance on your end as well -- as Vivian so wisely pointed out. The only resolution though, no matter what the cause, is for you to voice your position. Whatever works best: "Hands off the Eggs Buddy" or "My dearest husband: When you eat my eggs it makes me feel like...." LOL...LOL. I'm working on it too so you've got a compatriot!

Best wishes & good luck -- Ginger

DDMariana Wed, Sep-18-02 08:47

Happens all the time around here too! Now, for example, I'll put half the deviled eggs on a plate with saran wrap...DB will dig into those... and I'll put my food in a green tupperware with a lid. I'll tell him, I made some deviled eggs for myself, if you want a couple there in the fridge, but don't touch anything in the green tupperwares...they're special foods for me. :D :D

Usually this works ok...of course I don't think he's trying to sabotage me, he just thinks all the food in the fridge is fair game! So separating how its wrapped with a warning ahead of time just might do the trick.

When I make my jello treat...I have to get him his own goodie, like a small carton of ice cream, this way I can say YOU have ice cream for a snack, and I make a special diet jello thing for MYSELF. If he needs any further clarification, :bash: I'll just whine about how I get so little choice, how could he possibly use up the last little bit of pleasure I might get out of the fridge...this works too ;) .

ginkirk Wed, Sep-18-02 08:57

Oh yeah...I forgot something.

Just an idea, but is your husband one of those types that can't find something in the refrig. if it isn't right up front? Could you hide some of your favorite items behind something that he'd choose first? Put your canned goods at the back of the shelf?

Ginger

asugar Wed, Sep-18-02 14:55

My husband is the type who wants to eat whatever I'm eating. I swear, if I was eating a bowl of crap, he'd want some. For instance, one of his favorite ice creams is cherry vanilla. I hate cherry vanilla, but before I low carbed when I bought my favorite diet ice cream, I would buy his cherry vanilla, too. He would buzz through my Edy's Grand Light French Silk and then when it was gone, he would eat his cherry vanilla. I have decided that the next time I make deviled eggs, I will put saran wrap over them and then scrunch up a piece of tin foil to make it look old and yucky. Then I'll put the tin foil over the saran wrap stategically placing a wilted brown lettuce leaf just under the foil and I'll put it in the crisper. Believe me, 5 years could go by and he won't touch it! I would try talking to him about his sabotage, but he'll deny that he does it as he's sitting there eating my whatever.

vivi621 Wed, Sep-18-02 15:31

Asugar, I see your point and you are making one............ but it is like putting perfume on a pig!!!

You need to get out what you want and say it, so when he dose it again, you can say... see this is what I mean.. I buy food for the both of us.. as you eat yours your happy and finish it ...then you finish mine.

See codependancy, you have to change your LIFE to suit others to make them happy or to have your happiness you must go to such extreme measures??? now do you think it is fair the measures you have to go thru to get something for you... And WHEN DH wants something it is right there..

I don't know but .................

I'd buy a new fridge for me with a key........ less of a hassle

happy weight loss success to you...

I REALLY MEAN IT..

VIVIAN :wave:

asugar Wed, Sep-18-02 15:58

Vivian, If I pointed it out to him, he would say he was sorry and that he wouldn't do it again and then he would do it again the first chance he got. Our marriage has been a very successful one for almost 28 years and I don't look at disguising my food as going to extreme measures. I look at it more like I would be outsmarting him. I know I do some things that annoy him, too and he has had to outsmart me on occasion. Thank you for your well wishes and I wish you every success, too.
asugar

P.S. I already have a small dorm size refrigerator in my office room, but I don't think there is any way to put a lock on it.

Lisa N Wed, Sep-18-02 16:34

Or you could try this approach...

..."Honey! I see you ate all my low carb food. That's wonderful! It must mean that you want to eat like I do and join me in my weight loss efforts. Great...I'll clean out the fridge and cupboards of all the high carb stuff you've been eating right now so neither of us will be tempted to cheat and I'll make sure I make enough of everything for both of us. What? You don't want to be on my diet???? WELL THEN STOP EATING MY FOOD!!!!!!" :bash:

On a more serious note....you could try labeling "your" food as yours and let him know not to eat anything with your name on it because you didn't make enough for him AND you to both eat it. Or....you could just make twice as much knowing that he's likely to dig into it no matter what you say. Just a thought....

jude Wed, Sep-18-02 17:28

Asugar....

You made my day! I'm still laughing about the bowl of crap!
Maybe you should just let him read this thread. The only other thing I can say after reading all the posts here is....

Thank God I'm Single !!

judy

agonycat Wed, Sep-18-02 17:33

Lisa pretty good idea!

Along with Lisa's idea you could go "aw honey you ate the last of my deviled eggs!" Hand him a pot and a carton of eggs and tell him, " Since you ate the lunch I was planning for tomorrow you can make me some more!" :D

If he is anything like my husband, he hates cooking :)

asugar Wed, Sep-18-02 17:58

I love some of the suggestions you folks have given me. If my husband made deviled eggs, the eggs would either be runny or the yolks would be green from overcooking them. Not only that, but he can't even boil water without completely demolishing the kitchen. He would attempt to clean up after himself, but conveniently do a half a*sed job.

He made me an omlette a few weeks ago before I was lowcarbing and for days he kept making me guess what the secret ingredient was. After about a week of him asking me at least twice a day if I had figured out what the secret ingredient was, he finally told me. He said the secret ingredient was love.

TheBetty Wed, Sep-18-02 18:52

Just had to chime in.....

Have a few ideas for you, although some may seem a little sinister. :devil: But they are called DEVILed eggs. :lol:

Make a plate full of em. More than your usual. To 4 or 5 of them, add a TON of salt (like a TABLESPOON) in each one to make them sickeningly salty (like chewing a salt like for a hamster). Then place those BAD EGGS where you think he will most likely eat them first. Of course, you will need to somehow mark them so you know which are which, or note their location on the plate.

Other ingredients to add in mass quantity to a few eggs is HABENERO PEPPER oil or sauce, SUGAR, LAXATIVE, crushed up VITAMIN C (the bitter kind), VANILLA EXTRACT, or whatever he hates--put it in there. :devil:

This might keep him out of your stuff. Just don't tell him you did this and see if he mentions it. Then you can eat one right in front of him and say "I don't taste anything funny, here you try again." And make sure to pass him another one of the bad eggs (after you've swallowed all of yours so he won't ask for a bite of yours).

Well, anyway, you sound like you could probably have fun doing this, especially after 28 years of marriage. It's fun to do stuff like this once in a while, good for a laugh! :lol: Let us know what happens if you decide to try any of our ideas here we've all posted.
:wave:

asugar Wed, Sep-18-02 19:03

Betty, I love your sage advice. I'm salivating. I think I'll take your very good advice the next time I make deviled eggs. Then I'll ask him if he can guess the "secret ingredient" (see my post above about the omlette he made me).