Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Heartburn (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=25966)

Charyl Tue, Nov-20-01 12:53

Heartburn

Last night I thought I was gonna die! I had heartburn soooooo bad :( I just started back on the program this week and I'm not sure what caused it) - didn't have this problem when I first started this WOE. Any suggestions? :idea: I can't go another night like that!!! :mad:

Here is what I ate yesterday:
Breakfast: 1 HB egg, 2 slices bacon
Lunch: spinach salad with blue cheese, pecans and turkey
Dinner: 2 fried eggs, 2 slices bacon, 1 slice whole wheat bread with melted cheese
Snack: jello
Water: lots and lots

That's it - nothing out of the ordinary for me. What's up :thup:

Charyl

Sh'ra Tue, Nov-20-01 13:15

Bacon always gave me heartburn, but that might just be me. What did you drink at your meals and between? Anything carbonated? Anything with lemon juice?

Sh'ra

Charyl Tue, Nov-20-01 13:24

Just drank water -I can't figure it out but I feel it coming on again and I'm not happy :( :(

Today I've had 2 scrambled eggs with 2 slices bacon (this has never affected me before!)
Lunch was another spinach salad with turkey
I've had a whole lotta water and nothing else!

Maybe its just alot of protein that's taking extra work to digest?

Not sure what to do next but I can't take another night like last night!

Charyl

Doodle Wed, Nov-21-01 03:18

I suffered from heartburn for the first few weeks of LCing. I have found that cutting out processed foods to be the key for me. ie, bacon. I can barely stand the taste of salt now. I only like freshly ground sea salt now! what's happening to me??? I'm turning into my mother! a foodie snob! :D Doods.

plum Thu, Nov-22-01 04:55

I do sympathise, heartburn is horrible.
I had it intermittently for years - often linked to stress - and I was hopeful that low carb would cure it , as all posts indicated it would !
however, I found no difference during my first few weeks low carb , maybe even worse. Water made it 100 times worse ! then I was advised to add more fat to my diet. Having been low fat for many years ( while steadily gaining weight I might add !!) Instant cure. I now have to really think about it to add the fats, but it works a treat. the only thing nowadays to set me off is decaff. coffee. one small cup I can tolerate.If I have too much, one teaspoon of olive oil cures it.
Adding extra olive oil, and mock Danish for breakfast have really helped.. best of luck....

Sharon Thu, Nov-22-01 06:09

heartburn

I'm just the opposite....it I touch chocolate or sweeties, heartburn is my punishment.

Anytime I've ever lost weight my heartburn disappears. Sometimes it just takes a few pounds.... I can always tell if I have gained any weight at all....my heartburn returns very easy.

That's just me....not sure anyone else's heartburn is related to weight as well as what they eat.

nancyb Thu, Nov-22-01 08:30

Prior to this WOE, I suffered daily w/ heartburn. It was definetly the combination of eating fat and carbs together. I was popping Tums several times a day. I kept them in the kitchen, in my purse, in the bedroom and in my car. I was so fearful that I had a really serious medical condition. During Induction I was still plagued, although to a lesser degree. Now I haven't had a single symptom in 6 weeks ... what a relief.