Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Upped calories.....SCARED!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=86275)

Danyele Wed, Feb-12-03 10:56

Upped calories.....SCARED!!

I have been low carbing since June of '02 and have los 25 lbs slowly but surely and I am so thankful for it. I have PCOS and I'm borderline hypothyroid. I should also mention that I suffered from anorexia and excessive exercise 3 years ago and had to go to a clinic for it so I know i messed up my metabolism. Anyways, I am very active, hardly sit at all during the day. I play competitive soccer 3 days a week and go to the gym 2. I also run around after a 3 year old during the day and go to university full time so it's not like i'm sitting in front of the tv.
Anyways, I was eating 1300-1500 calories per day for the past year or so and was always hungry. I thought it was kind of low but my past mentality has me extremely scared of gaining weight. For the past week I have upped my calories to about 1800 a day. I average 2800 burned per day(according to fitday.com) but the scale has gone up a slight bit. This could be due to hormones/ovulation. The reason I started upping cals was because i had been stuck at my current weight for the past month or two. Yes, my clothes are a tad bigger but not much. I weigh about 20 lbs more than i did in high school and am about the same clothing size(8-10). I am getting back a lot more muscle that i had before i was diagnosed with my PCOS and hypothyroid. I know muscle weighs more than fat but i haven't noticed that much change lately.
I'm not on any bcp's for PCOS(can't handle the estrogen) so i take natural supplements and my thyroid is in range. I don't eat cheese, only a few macadamias here and there. I was drinking about 3 cups of decaf coffee with splenda a day but have recently cut that out to 2 with 1 stevia only.
So I guess my question is: To those who have severely dieted in the past, i know it can take a while for your metabolism to return to normal, when you upped your calories did you gain a slight bit of weight and then taper off? THanks for reading and thanks for your input, if you have any.

Danyele

Paleoanth Mon, Feb-17-03 05:52

I am always scared when I up my calories. Hold over from the "low fat, low calorie" thinking, I guess.

There have been times that my weight went up a pound or two, but always seemed to go back down in a week or so. Everyone's body responds to change differently. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as it is only a pound or two. You don't mention what kinds of foods you are eating. Maybe if you listed them or started a journal-the smart people here could give you some more specific feedback.

Karen Mon, Feb-17-03 10:24

Quote:
Anyways, I was eating 1300-1500 calories per day for the past year or so and was always hungry. I thought it was kind of low but my past mentality has me extremely scared of gaining weight.

Hungry is bad, bad, bad! I think it's fair to say that you've been on this forum long enough to know that you should never be hungry. Keeping your calories too low can cause more harm than good and you really don't want that to happen.

Part of low-carbing is learning to give your body what it needs to operate at its max. Listen to what it is saying. Many people are messed up metabolically and mentally because they allowed their minds to override what their bodies were telling them.

Give yourself at least a month of good-quality fats, proteins and vegetables. It will take a bit of time for your body to adjust to being fed adequately, so don't panic.

Karen

Danyele Wed, Feb-19-03 15:56

hi,

sorry, just saw the replies now so thanks for replying ladies :)
Right now I'm eating about 1800-2000 calories a day. Foods: usually a cup of broccoli/cauliflower, salad, macadamia nuts, chicken, fish, lots of mayo, lean red meat(sometimes), pepperoni(rarely), cashews. That's pretty much it. Today for example so far I've had

breakie-1/2 chicken breast, tbsp mayo, 5 spears asparagus, decaf coffee w/ heavy cream and stevia

snack-1 oz macadamia nuts

lunch-cod, caesar salad(2 cups with 2 tbsp dressing),

Have had 1.5L of water already, another 2.5 to go. I exercise 5-6 days a week and chase after a 3 year old during the day.

Thanks, Danyele

kjturner Thu, Feb-20-03 03:32

Plus the closer you get to your goal, the slower the weight loss...be patient.

Danyele Thu, Feb-20-03 10:28

Quote:
Plus the closer you get to your goal, the slower the weight loss...be patient.

Thanks, *giving head a shake* lol.

Danyele