Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Flu Shot Anyone? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=146475)

Kathy54 Sun, Nov-02-03 21:00

Flu Shot Anyone?

Did anyone else get the flu shot and feel like Crap................. for days???

Aching body, headache that feels like the typical flu headache, all just kind of on the verge of being there? It's been 10 days. I'm getting very fed up, it's better if I take advil, but soon as it wears off it's back.

What do you think?
Cheers Kathy

tofi Sun, Nov-02-03 21:05

You could actually have caught the flu before the 2 weeks that it takes to build up immunity. Some people do get a fluish feeling for a couple of days after the shot. If it doesn't get better, call your doctor. Sorry you are feeling bad & hope you recover soon.

Kathy54 Mon, Nov-03-03 09:58

Hello, Thanks Tofi, I suppose the bug may of been around, but it was about 36 hours after the shot it all started. If it persist, I'll head to my Dr's.
LOL, I feel like such a wreck, I have a, wcb knee, Icbc (car Ins) shoulder, now this ! All since sept.

Hopefully that is it for a long time 8>)

Kathy

cs_carver Mon, Nov-03-03 12:21

Major insults

I didn't catch all the acronyms, but it sounds like a lot of insult to your body. Don't much clearing of it? When I'm run down, the smallest additional load will knock me over.

tofi Mon, Nov-03-03 17:43

WCB = Workmen's (or Worker's) Compensation Board (Insurance and medical treatment for workplace related injury

ICBC = Insurance company of British Columbia (Canada's westernmost province)
which is the provincial auto insurance co.

Sounds as though you've had a run of bad luck, Kathy. Sure hope it's over and things will get much better and less painful for you.

laffn Wed, Nov-05-03 13:07

Both my husband and I received the flu shot last week. Neither of us had any bad symptoms.

Kathy54 Thu, Nov-06-03 21:57

Well they seem to have left me the last 2 days, Yeppee!

raharris Mon, Nov-17-03 20:36

I take some medications that significantly impair my immune system (Enbrel, Methotrexate) and have not had a flu shot yet. Still, it has not been a problem in the past; last year at this time I was on both meds and was LCing it and had no trouble.

One thing my rheumy (arthritis doctor) told me is to avoid the nasal spray version of the innoculation. Apparently it contains "live" strains of the flu, while the injected versions are "dead." And no, I am not sure what the terms "live" and "dead" mean in this context. I just know that she was very worried about me geting the nasal version -- so if you are worried about the immunization and have a choice, get the shot! Robert

Lisa N Tue, Nov-18-03 19:02

I get a flu shot every year and every year the reaction is just a little different. Last year, I had no symptoms other than my arm feeling like I had gotten a tetanus shot instead of a flu shot for about 4 days. This year, the injection site was a little sore for a day or two and I had some mild muscle aches with it but those also went away after 2 days. Some years I've had no reaction at all. Every year, the vaccine is different and so your reaction to it will be, too.
The first year I had a flu shot, I must have been exposed to the flu right before I got it because the next day, I got one of the worst cases of flu I've ever had. I mistakenly blamed the flu shot and didn't get one again for several years. Now I know better and haven't had a problem since then. A few days of muscle soreness are a lot better than a week home and miserable with the flu! :p

CarolynC Wed, Nov-19-03 05:57

I had the flu shot in October and, thankfully, had no ill effects whatsoever.