Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Reliable scales? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44390)

tammay Mon, May-13-02 15:00

Reliable scales?

Hi again,

My sister and I are both LCing and we have three scales in the house - all of them crappy! I say this because when we get off the scale, it doesn't jump back to 0 but always slightly off of the 0. I think that's enough of a reason to think they're inaccurate, right? ;)

So we're looking for a reliable scale, preferably one we can order on the web. Anyone know of a good brand?

Thanks,
Tam

Lisa in MD Wed, May-15-02 07:22

$200

I spent $200 on a physician balance beam scale and it's the best thing I've ever spent money on. It's consistently right on with my doctor's office. I got it online, not sure where, but if you use a search engine, my new favorite search engine is Teoma, you should be able to find one. :thup:

Shellyf34 Wed, May-15-02 11:22

I threw my scale out for the same reason and just use a Pants-o-meter now...I think mearsuring yourself is a much more accurate way to gauge weight loss than that darn scale! Now, when I lose an inch I jsut take a couple more pounds off of my "weight." it's probably about as accurate as my scale wa anyway! ;)

-Shelly

GatorGal93 Wed, May-15-02 11:29

Scales

Just my 2 cents:
I love my Tanita scale! I can stand on one foot, flap my arms, have wet hair, have dry hair (you get the picture) and it always reads the same. I even put one off my ankle weights on it (because I could not remember the weight) and it read exactly 2.5 pounds.

It is not the scale with the fat measurer, but it is reasonably priced.

Good luck!
Julie

TeriDoodle Wed, May-15-02 11:54

I agree with Shellyf!! Throw out all the scales, save yourself $100 and invest in a $1 tape measure!! You'll be glad you did!

tammay Wed, May-15-02 14:42

Thank you all for the suggestions :thup:

We are both actually measuring ourselves and keeping track that way but we still want a scale to weigh in every once in a while.

Tam

Lisa N Wed, May-15-02 19:24

I'll add another vote for throwing out the scale. Seeing as mine doesn't seem to want to budge much right now, I'm starting to think it's got a grudge against me or something! LOL

AngelaR Thu, May-16-02 06:38

Quote:
Originally posted by tammay
We are both actually measuring ourselves and keeping track that way but we still want a scale to weigh in every once in a while.

Tam

If you are only weighing "every once in a while" then there is no need for a deadly accurate scale. Like the others have said, the measuring tape is much more reliable and cheaper.

If you want a scale, then invest $75 in a good quality food scale, so you can more accurately measure what you eat. I bought a postal scale at Business Depot and it is 1000 times more valuable than any bathroom scale will ever be.

TeriDoodle Thu, May-16-02 10:19

:idea: EXCELLENT idea, Angela!! :idea: I think I'll do just that!! :)

doreen T Thu, May-16-02 17:05

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaR

If you want a scale, then invest $75 in a good quality food scale, so you can more accurately measure what you eat. I bought a postal scale at Business Depot and it is 1000 times more valuable than any bathroom scale will ever be.
It was YOU!!

Angela, a gazillion thanks and hugs to you! I knew that I'd read a post here somewhere from someone about using an accurate digital postal scale, that does tare/ rezero with multiple ingredients. I thought about that, and just happened to be in Staples Business Depot, so I bought a Sunbeam model SP5. It measures to 1 gram/ 0.1 ounce ... does tare and it's flat and small and I love it. And yes, I have used it for postage too ;)

$65 Cdn

Thanks for the idea seed :heart:

Doreen

AngelaR Thu, May-16-02 17:52

Doreen,
It's great isn't it?????

I went looking for food scales, and they were all so expensive, with less features. It was just on a whim that I checked out Business Depot to see what postal scales would cost. I LOVE mine. Can't live without it. Mine does tare (rezeroing - usefull after putting the container on, and then after adding each ingredient for a recipe). It also measures in grams and ounces.