Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Atkins Shakes - any suggestions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=107387)

Grandeur Thu, May-22-03 13:04

Atkins Shakes - any suggestions

I just joined this forum. Had a great induction (11 lbs.) and fell off big time! The shakes were hard to choke down. I read in the book about adding cream and freezing but for the life of me I cannot find that spot again. Has anybody had success in livening up the shakes to help the taste? I have the vanilla powder.

Mornings are difficult. I get soooooooo sick of eggs, cheese, etc. Lunch and dinner I am pretty flexible with but thought the shakes would help with b-fast.

faeriegirl Thu, May-22-03 13:08

I drink shakes every day. I don't care for just the powder either, so this is what i have:

1/3 c. heavy cream
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
4-6 ice cubes
4 strawberries
1/2 c. water.

Blend blend blend!! Much much better than canned shakes, or endless eggs, in my opinion :)

Shelley J Thu, May-22-03 13:20

You don't need to have JUST eggs for breakfast.

Have whatever you want- leftovers, whatever protien and just whatever. Eggs get nausiating afterwhile.

Good luck!

MomSharon Thu, May-22-03 13:57

I often have shakes the way faeriegirl describes, but add an egg and flavored DaVinci SF syrup as well. I had found that suggestion in the recipe section of this forum as well. Using your blender for this, I swear it is just like an ice cream shake and I feel as though I am cheating! I'm looking forward to the hot summer evenings where I used to eat 2 & 3 bowls of ice cream and use these instead.

I don't care for the canned shakes of any brand at all.

Sharon

Iowagirl Thu, May-22-03 14:00

My recommendation for the Atkins shakes would be to throw them out! :Puke:

Otherwise, put them in the blender, toss in some half and half or cream, ice (7 cubes) and they can be palatable in a pinch.

Suzanne Thu, May-22-03 14:47

Shakes...

When I first began Atkins - I also purchased the powder mix for shakes ...YUCK! I couldn't even choke it down - they're that bad. HOWEVER - the canned ones that are ready to drink are a different story! They're great! I just tried them last week - thought they'd be disgusting - but they are wonderful. So give 'em a try - I've had all three flavors - van, choc, straw, and I give them all rave reviews. They're perfect for when you're at work and it's almost time to go home but you want something but it's too close to dinner, etc...... Just a perfect "something" when you're (bored) craving "something"

maryeb Thu, May-22-03 15:40

switch from the atkins drinks (of which i can not stand - powder or the ready to drink) ultra pure protein (bananna is my favorite) how ever they come in i think 4 flavors - range from 2 to 4 carbs per can they taste GREAT !!
and although we are not limited on fat grams - they have much less fat than the atkins one..

i also use them for bfast. since i am sick off eggs
price is about the same for either
:rolleyes:

AmyTN Thu, May-22-03 16:06

I like the ready to drink Atkin's Shakes, but not the powder. You can find them reasonably priced in 4-packs at your local Wal-Mart in the pharmacy section. My favorite by far is vanilla 1g net carbs, the next best is chocolate also with 1g net carbs. The strawberry tasted a little chemical to me with 2g net carbs, but was edible. Perhaps you could try these. I also use the Advantage Bars for breakfast on occassion- also available at Wal-Mart. I don't eat eggs at all, & can't stomach a big meal in the morning so these are what I use for breakfast. There are also recipes for shakes under the breakfast section. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne

Linnea Thu, May-22-03 16:18

I have both the chocolate and cappucino shake mix. The first one I tried just putting it in a shaker bottle the first time I made it. BLECH!!!!

Then the next time I used the hand blender.. what a difference. Also, I use soy milk. Pure, organic soy.... something like 2 carbs per cup.

Also... add a scoop of no-sugar peanut butter.. Yummy!

Linnea