Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Alcohol (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=70576)

nkd2662 Wed, Nov-13-02 18:39

Alcohol

Hi there!

One of my best friends is having a birthday party on Saturday that I am going to. It is also the end of my induction on that day. Anyway, just curious if it is a LC crime to have a few drinks? If so- what is the best LC alcoholic drink to have? My friends are all beer snobs so I refuse to bring Lite Beer.

thanks!

:wave:

KatieB Wed, Nov-13-02 18:58

I'm sure you will get more replies to this but most agree it's better not to drink at all. The body burns the sugar from alcohol first so you can go out of ketosis. That aside check the carbs for alcoholic drinks. The two things I drink is Vodka (0 Carbs) and dry white wine (low carbs). Beer is high - not a good choice. Be careful! After two weeks of being on induction you could be very sensitive to alcohol.

Katie

Lisa N Wed, Nov-13-02 19:41

Alcohol is another one of those YMMV things. I wouldn't suggest drinking often or much, but liquor is generally carb-free; just make sure that whatever you mix it with is also carb-free. Dry wines are lower in carbs and regular beer is pretty high in carbs.
Your body will also burn alcohol for fuel in preference to fat so your weight loss could be put on hold for a few days.
If you do decide to have a few drinks, make sure you also drink more water than usual or you could wind up with a killer hangover in the morning. Alcohol is a diuretic and low carbing also has a diuretic effect. Between the dehydration and the alcohol...ouch! You may also want to have a designated driver if you plan to have more than one drink as many people report that they get drunk much easier when low carbing than they would otherwise.

nkd2662 Wed, Nov-13-02 19:48

one other thing

Hey there- what is the little envelope for on the left of the thread title? i can't figure it out for the life of me!

Skamito Wed, Nov-13-02 22:47

Pure spirits (vodka, rum, gin) have no carbs, but of course, as was said, alcohol burns before fat in your system. Drinking shouldn't knock you out of ketosis though, just put you at a standstill until it's out of your system.

Possible drinks:

Rum and Diet Coke (or better yet Diet Rite)
Gin and diet tonic
Vodka and Crystal Light

Depending on your tastes, I'd probably just show up with a bottle of diet something and mix it with whatever's available.

You should find that you won't even need a "few" drinks. I had two martinis soon after I went off induction and that was plenty.

agonycat Wed, Nov-13-02 22:53

Be careful when you drink on this diet. Alcohol will not have the same effect as it once did. It will take a lot less to get drunk than it did before you went on this diet.

So drink lightly. ;)

SthrnTami Thu, Nov-14-02 11:13

I drink fairly often, and although my weight loss is slow, I haven't hit a major stall yet. I usually have red wine, mainly because I know there are some significant health benefits from it. I never have more than two glasses, however. Occasionally I'll have a martini or two. 0 carbs, but....watch out! You know what they say, "One martini, two martini, three martini, FLOOR!" And since you are on a restricted eating program, and haven't been drinking recently, you might even hit the floor after two!

Tami

vbrowne Thu, Nov-14-02 11:55

Lisa - what is YMMV?

Vikki

Howcross Thu, Nov-14-02 13:11

Quote:
Originally posted by vbrowne
Lisa - what is YMMV?

Vikki

I'm not Lisa (hey! That was a song! :dazzle: ok, so now you know how old I am)

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary.

Ann

Lisa N Thu, Nov-14-02 13:11

YMMV...your mileage may vary. :D

vbrowne Thu, Nov-14-02 13:14

Thanks for letting me know. I find that if I'm "good" 6 days out of 7, I can have a few glasses of wine on a Friday night, as long as I treadmill for 20 minutes at least the next day.

KatieB Thu, Nov-14-02 13:59

Yeah, I also let myself have a Friday night of a glass or two of wine. It's my treat for making it through the week!

Katie