Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Confused about WW article & Atkins. Pls read (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=90507)

A thin me! Tue, Mar-04-03 18:21

Confused about WW article & Atkins. Pls read

HI

I was just reading the Womans' World Magazine where they discuss the Atkins WOL and how to keep it economical.

However, they also talk about Induction and carb counting and the stuff we know. BUT, they list having peanuts as a snack and peanut butter for lunch on celery.

I was under the impression that the only nuts allowed AFTER induction were macademia ones.

Like to know your thoughts.

KoKo Tue, Mar-04-03 18:26

Hi thin

No, macadamias are just Dr. Atkins favorite because of their high fat content and lo carb count. Other nuts are allowed but check your book to see for sure what level they are introduced. Also peanuts are not really nuts, they are in the legume family so treated slightly different than real nuts, but they are allowed also after induction.

:) :) :)

tbagram Tue, Mar-04-03 18:27

You can eat any kind of nut you want as long as you count the carbs. :wave: Vonnie

Paleoanth Tue, Mar-04-03 19:27

I love macademias-but Pecans are great too.

My mom eats peanuts. Just a handful at a time.

Natrushka Tue, Mar-04-03 19:33

Re: Confused about WW article & Atkins. Pls read

Quote:
Originally posted by A thin me!
However, they also talk about Induction and carb counting and the stuff we know. BUT, they list having peanuts as a snack and peanut butter for lunch on celery.
This is the same magazine famous for its "Lose 30 lbs by ____ (insert holiday here) Day" Feature stories.

Stick with the book, Pam. And when in a pinch, check with www.atkincentre.com for allowable foods on Induction.

Nat

Teuthis Tue, Mar-04-03 21:22

Nuts to you:)

Pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, almonds, hazelnuts, pine nuts; all have low carbs and are allowed, even encouraged after Induction. Peanuts too. And they are all very good for you, but in small amounts daily:)

Good Luck!

Kathy54 Tue, Mar-04-03 21:45

I leave a small dish of peanuts on my Kitchen Island, and I just pick at it, I might eat 2 tbsp a day, at the most, they are very satisfying, however, if you can't leave them alone, I guess it would'nt be a good Idea to leave the out.

I bought myself a bag of macadamia, Wow, will keep them hidden, not cheap!

Kathy

Yaseruzo~! Tue, Mar-04-03 22:37

I admire all of you for your self control over nuts! There's no way I can do that! Everytime I get nuts, any kind of nuts, I just can't stay away from them until they are all gone. I can go through the whole can in one day and want more. I just have to stay away from them!

BarbCA Wed, Mar-05-03 07:21

I, too, am a nut nut. I keep them put of sight in the freezer. I can also eat a whole can in 2 days.

vbrowne Wed, Mar-05-03 09:03

Does anyone have a list of nut stats?

Vikki

Skamito Wed, Mar-05-03 11:55

I'm bored so I did nut research. :)

Here are the stats for a one ounce portion of nuts with fiber ALREADY subtracted, so it's net carbs. I also approxiamated. This is all according to Fitday.

Almonds- 2
Cashews- 7!
Peanuts (shelled)- 2.5 to 4 (raw have the least, roasted the most)
Macadamia nuts- 1 to 1.5 (roasted have less carbs)
Walnuts- 2
Pecans- 1.5
Hazelnut/ Filbert- 2.5
Brazil nuts- 3
Pistachios (roated) - 2

That's a wrap folks! Feel free to add some I may have forgotten.

:)

A thin me! Wed, Mar-05-03 18:44

Thanks everyone..........

The article caught my eye and after reading it I wondered.

No nuts for me..... right now. But, I love those macadamias.

Thanks again everyone.

ATM