Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   cheese (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=19720)

bluugirl Mon, Sep-10-01 16:48

cheese

is there any cheese out there that truly has 0g carbs? I got this 'whole milk cheese' (it's mexican) and it has on the label 0g carbs... i haven't done the calorie calculation yet, just wondering if there is such a thing as 0g carb cheese - it looks like it's not very processed. Thanks

Natrushka Mon, Sep-10-01 17:00

Not sure....

But I'd think not. If whole-milk has carbs why wouldn't the cheese its made from have them too? I know some cheeses are lower than others in carbs; Monterey Jack seems to be pretty low. It's unfortunate that in the States they can get away with saying "0" carbs when the count is less than 1g.

I'm gonna do a bit of investigating, cause if its true.... then I want some :D Let you know what I find.

Nat

Loquita Mon, Sep-10-01 17:16

I'll take Cheeses With No Carbs for $100

It was a hot day in July.

As I frantically steered my way throught the aisles of our local supermarket I came across....

You guessed it...

ZERO carb cheese.

I don't recall who made it - just that it was a brand of Swiss.

I will look again - tonight - since I've gotta stock up again now that I've bounced back on the wagon.

Loqui

tamarian Mon, Sep-10-01 17:32

There are very low carb cheese out there, like Gruyere at 0.36g carbs per 100g:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-tool...ml?item_id=1023

When you see 0 in the nutritional fact lable, is usually due to rounding os smaller portions. But this is really low.

The real zero cheese is butter :)

Wa'il

giggles Mon, Sep-10-01 18:14

Yup. In the US if it has under 1 g it can show 0. So if cheese has .999999 g carbs it will show 0. I always look at it as 1 g - better be safe than sorry

Sarlye Mon, Sep-10-01 18:21

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
There are very low carb cheese out there, like Gruyere at 0.36g carbs per 100g:
The real zero cheese is butter :)

I knew there was another reason I love Gruyere, unfortunately, if I eat too much I get a rash on my face. Boo Hoo... I will just have to pace myself and not OD on them :(

doreen T Mon, Sep-10-01 18:27

details

For the record ... in Canada .. labelling regulations require that when the amount of a nutrient (protein, fat and/or carbohydrate) is under 10 grams, it must be declared to the nearest 0.1g, or 1/10th. Once the amount of the nutrient is OVER 10g, then they only have to declare to the nearest whole gram, and they usually round UP, ie 11.5g would show as 12.

In the USA, labels are only required to declare to the nearest whole gram for all amounts. And it is permitted that if a "normal serving" of a food has less than 1g carb, then it may be listed as zero. Big problem with cream ... where a lowcarber may have several times the amount considered a "normal serving" which is only 1 Tbsp. Or the packets of sweetener or the bulk Splenda ... they call a 'normal serving" 1 tsp ... which has 0.5g carb. The label will show zero, but it sure ain't zero if you have 1/2 cup of the stuff (12 carbs! :eek: )

bluugirl Tue, Sep-11-01 10:48

i figured it would be unlikely...

lol wa'il.. yeah butter is good to eat too (for a change in flavor)..
the mexican cheese i have is quite good.. but very salty.. (i did the calorie calculation and the carb content must be extremely LOW... also checked the ingredients "whole milk cheese, salt"..that's it.
so i can't have too much of it anyway. i was just hoping i wasn't missing some 0g carb cheese out there :)
i'll have to try Gruyere..i'm sure i've had it in my lifetime..just don't remember. lol.

silence Fri, Jan-25-02 17:30

i found a 0 carb cheese

i live in canada.....

the brand is BLACK DIAMOND.

i absolutely love their cheese

i figure i would trust the labling because they label 0.3 g carb for their mozzeralla, but 0 for aged cheese!

love those things.... sigh~~~~

and i buy them at IGA for $8 a stick, 950 g. the cheapest and the best~

LadyInRed Mon, Sep-15-03 17:00

Hi,

I have been doing Atkins since Friday of last week but have spent a while reading about it and trying to understand the in's and out's.

I still have one point of confusion and cannot find the info anywhere. On our food Labels in NZ have the amount of Carbs detailed but not necessarily the fiber. However, it does have the details about sugar in grams.

Does this mean that the gram quantity of carbs that "counts" as carb intake is the sugar quantity?

Help ... I am very confused ....

almost Mon, Sep-15-03 20:02

Now I have an excuse to go out and buy some gruyere. :D It used to be one of my favorite cheeses (it melts sooo well on top of chicken) but was banned a long time ago due to my old low fat plan.