Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Any lenten suggestions for eating at fast food places? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=169561)

BrownBear Fri, Feb-27-04 07:47

Any lenten suggestions for eating at fast food places?

I am Catholic so right now I can't eat meat on Fridays. I usually bring my lunch to work or grab something from a fast food restaurant. I don't know what to do now because I can't really make broiled fish or shrimp at work (we only have a microwave) and most fast food places only have the fried breaded fish. Anyone have any ideas on what I can eat?

toning_up Fri, Feb-27-04 08:01

Egg salad?

(are you allowed eggs?)

BrownBear Fri, Feb-27-04 08:21

yes we can eat eggs...basically anything but red meat, pork and chicken. Thanks for your post

kenjenmo Fri, Feb-27-04 08:25

Tuna is quick and easy at work. Otherwise you might have to plan ahead for Friday's and have some sort of fish to bring with you. I think most fast food places bread their fish for their fish sandwiches.

angieK Fri, Feb-27-04 09:06

Tuna or salmon salad on a bed of lettuce. Cook your fish the night before and bring it to work and heat up.

fishie48 Fri, Feb-27-04 09:53

There is a tofu mac and cheese recipe on this forum somewhere. Its high in calories but really pretty good and re-heats very well.
I make a mock danish in corningware in the morning and take it to work to eat chilled mid-morning because I hate eating breakfast at 6. Tastes better cold.

abster Fri, Feb-27-04 10:08

How about the pizza quiche?

If you don't have the recipe for the pizza quiche, do a web search for it. (It's often called Donald's Pizza Quiche, after the person who popularized it.)

It microwaves really well and is great for lunch.

I would give you the recipe right here, but I don't have it with me. I'm sure others would post it for you if you can't find it.

Karen Fri, Feb-27-04 10:24

Get a salad to go and top with hard cooked eggs, canned tuna or salmon, or some cheese you've brought from home.

Karen

cmcole Fri, Feb-27-04 14:21

Make up some great salads or reheatables with fish - tuna, salmon, whatever your preference.

I love to have a salmon fillet/steak reheated for lunch. Sometimes I'll buy the packaged ones from Costco or M&M Meats, which are each individually vacuum sealed, so I can make it just for me (I'm the only one LCing in my household).

The M&M have a dill sauce - watch the other sauce - it has carbs. I just bring it in a microwaveable container, along with a salad or something, and I've got a great lunch - any day.

I've made tuna salad and had it for breakfast.

Under my desk is a can of smoked tuna, some smoked mussels and/or oysters, sardines, kippers, mackerel fillets - all canned and ready to eat if I ever forget my lunch, or just can't endure what I've brought, or have to work late - I want to never have the option of "picking up something at Tim Horton's" (the closest fast food place to where I work).

Now that I'm the only parent home, I have to make sure my children are well-fed, but that doesn't mean neglecting myself just because they want mac & cheese, or something I won't be eating.

MaggieP Fri, Feb-27-04 15:14

Big greek salad - no chicken.

Get some of those nice packets of tuna, and you can dump that on any salad. You can also get those with a mayo packet and mix up some tuna salad of your own.

Subway Veggie wrap, or their seafood sandwich in a wrap.

Egg salad was a good one. Hmm, don't know about pimento cheese - might want to look into that. Cream cheese and olive wrap with LC tortillas, made yourself.

That's all I can think of for now. :)