Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Will Splenda make me grow a third eye?! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123853)

Kayte71 Sat, Jul-12-03 11:46

Will Splenda make me grow a third eye?!

I know I know--Splenda isn't allowed on SP but the aftertaste of Stevia makes me gag. My question is--there are so many links to Nutrasweet and nasty diseases--what's the skinny on my sweet sweet Splenda?
Kayte

lburnikell Sat, Jul-12-03 14:25

I know that the Atkins diet says if you you have to use sweetner use splenda not aspartume but try to limit it!!
Hope this helps

Kayte71 Sat, Jul-12-03 14:42

Boo!!!!!

I did some poking around on the website, came across a link Wanda posted about Splenda--and it is pretty freakin' scary-- seizures,mood disorder reactions,bad for liver,thymus, spleen--OY! bye bye splenda. But I sure am pouting about it--I thought I had found the perfect thing for blissful coffee drinking--I'm grounchily going to buy some more Stevia now.Are there any pre-made drinks made w/ Stevia to be found or am I stuck with unsweetened Kool-aid? Can you buy unsweetened Crystal Light?

acohn Sat, Jul-12-03 19:07

I'm a long-time stevia user (+5 years), I can tell you that it took me a while to find the type of stevia preparation that I liked. I settled on NOW Foods Stevia Glycerite, which has none of the licorice taste that raw, liquid stevia does (as does the powdered stuff, in large doses).

If you haven't already rejected this form of stevia, give it a try.

Raquel2473 Sat, Jul-12-03 19:40

Hello Kayte,
I've been using Splenda for a while now, and I love it... :)
It is the first time I have ever heard anything bad about it, here in this thread. Never heard about it giving you seizures or any medical problems, uhm! :confused:
I will still continue to use it I guess, I haven't found anything else in the market I like, like I do Splenda.
Oh well, :lol:

See ya later,

Raquel

:sunny:

Kayte71 Sat, Jul-12-03 21:14

Read it & weep.....

http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm

lburnikell Fri, Jul-18-03 08:23

just though I would reply on this so it would go back to the first page so others can read it, as there is a few worries about splenda!

Iowagirl Fri, Jul-18-03 10:24

Well, thank God I'm not a mouse or a rat!

Wasn't saccharine supposed to cause cancer at one time?

MsAtt Fri, Jul-18-03 10:51

i use splenda whenever i can, but there are many places that don't carry it (restaurants, i mean) and i do carry packets of stevia w' fiber in my purse to use if there is no splenda...this way i kinda mix it up...i refuse to drink anything with sacarine or aspartamine in it...yuck!

finding any prepared drink with stevia has been a dead end for me, and splenda sweetener is only in a few beverages...i love the fruit2O...it has splenda, and so does diet rite.

ernefam6 Fri, Jul-18-03 12:32

Third eye???

Didn't see that mentioned on that link, but I am sure it is listed along with facial hair, horns and clubfoot :lol:

MsBrisby Fri, Jul-18-03 13:01

I posted a similar question yesterday. After reading the above link, I think I will be avoiding the Splenda :rolleyes:

I want to get to a "decent" weight before DH and I try for a baby--my goal weight is too far off, can't wait that long.

Anyway, it listed miscarriage and low birthweight among the side effects.

I guess it is GOODBY SPLENDA!!

I gave up aspartame because I read a study that it can cause toxicity levels to rise in the brains of infants. Uh, yeah, that sounds scary....

Guess it's back to the old stevia bottle.... :roll:

Changling Fri, Jul-18-03 14:00

Stevia powder

Katye, just wondering if you tried the powdered stevia instead of the liquid. To me it is much better. I can't stand the liquid kind.

Lesley

(Moderator's note: this post seemed to belong in this thread so I moved it. You might have hit "New Thread" instead of "Post Reply". If you didn't want it to be here, please click on "Report Post" below and ask to have it removed.)

lburnikell Sat, Jul-19-03 07:41

glad you found this and read the link I put a reply in it yesterday so it would bring ikt back to page 1 so you could read it!!

deb1234 Sat, Jul-19-03 09:26

silly

Don't believe everything that's written and quotes a study. Looks to me like to good dr. picks and chooses what to print. The research is OLD --look at the dates on the articles. I believe if lab animals were fed 10 times the amount of either let's say salt or aspirin or even water -- they would have adverse reactions. Those "dangerous" chemicals he finds are also in our air, our water - do we really want to live in a plastic bubble?

Come on Spanky let's be reasonable. There is nothing wrong with Splenda & I refuse to give it up.

bah Sat, Jul-19-03 13:22

i ate ice pops with splenda in it and i would start itching really badly. when i stoppped eating those ice pops the itiching stopped, so i'm never eating splenda again.