Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Hangovers (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=127333)

Agafia79 Fri, Aug-01-03 14:53

Hangovers

I plan on drinking this weekend and Im sure theres going to be a hangover. :bash:
Usually on a hangover I eat alot cause it makes my stomach feel better.
I find that cheating is alot easier at that time.
How can I avoid cheating on a hangover?
any suggestions?

P.S. Does anyone else eat alot on hangovers or just me?

LCalamari Fri, Aug-01-03 14:59

sorry, I don't drink so have never had a hangover but I would suggest you prepare alot of low carb snacks that you can access easier than the higher carbs snacks. boil some eggs, cut up some cheese and veggies and munch on that all day. Also drink lots of water to flush out your system. Good Luck

Agafia79 Fri, Aug-01-03 15:03

Thanks for the advice. Definitely going to do the eggs and the water.

csj Fri, Aug-01-03 15:34

Hope you haven't already started partying or this may be too late. But DO NOT drink on a empty stomach. Eat cheese, eggs, or meat before you indulge or you are going to have the headache of a lifetime. And go easy on the alcohol, too.
Trust me, I know where of I speak. :)

LovableLC Fri, Aug-01-03 15:35

I find it a lot easier if you have the right foods already cooked and ready to eat.

Agafia79 Fri, Aug-01-03 15:53

Well I heard that headaches on a hangover is actually dehydration so I will make sure to drink lots of water. No have not started yet CSJ lol have to finish my work day.

jun keater Fri, Aug-01-03 15:55

ummmm..... isn't drinking "cheating"? :nono:

Agafia79 Fri, Aug-01-03 16:03

According to Atkins you can drink alcohol. I wont be having beer or anything, it will be carb free cocktails. I only allow myself to drink once a week and I dont always have hangovers LOL, but this weekend were going out with friends so its inevitable.

EvenLower Fri, Aug-01-03 16:06

somethin about hamburger patties and salad in the morning that help my hangovers

kellyuk Fri, Aug-01-03 16:21

Before you go out have a good LC meal and make sure you are *full*, drink LOTS of water before you go, as much as you can get down comfortably, next ENJOY every single mouthful, don't just knock it back - savor every single taste!

When you get home try your best to drink more water, it's hard, but every oz you get down is good for you :)

Try and sleep in tomorrow am, lot's of sleep then try and get seme time in at the gym or even better, at the pool.

tholian8 Fri, Aug-01-03 16:27

Of course, the best way to deal with a hangover is not to get one in the first place. However, since that doesn't seem to be an option ;), the next best thing is to do what kellyuk said: drink as much water as you can manage while you are also drinking booze. It's easier to deal with a hangover in advance by minimizing the damage. Go for a 2:1 ratio if you can. I use the same glass and fill it up twice with water for every one alcoholic drink I have.

Emily

RickinTN Fri, Aug-01-03 16:41

Don't drink here either. The suggestions above are good ones though :)

geo53562 Fri, Aug-01-03 17:32

I do drink, but nowhere near as much as I used to. If I recall correctly, there was a "fad" diet that was popular around 20-30 years ago called "the Drinking Man's Diet." Basically, it advocated eating a fair amount of red meat before, during and after alcohol use, and drinking straight booze or water only as a mix (they claimed the fat absorbed and neutralized the toxins produced by the body in the aftermath of a drinking session).

I'm not sure if anyone ever lost weight on it, but it sounds like an unhealthy subset of Atkins. Among the other claims, the promoters of this diet claimed you would experience less hangover problems...might be worth a shot (pun intended!:)) for you.

retrochiq Fri, Aug-01-03 18:05

ok, here goes...I have been know to mix alcohol in the past in which case blacked out and my dh told me I ate half a cake...try not to laugh hard...anyways, I definitely PACE myself with my drinking and try not to be around food so much when I am.....and I don't mix alcohol anymore...turning 27 this October...I guess I am growing up a bit...lol

hysteria Fri, Aug-01-03 21:34

I find having lots of legal LC treats around help a LOT. Mostly cheese sticks, hamburger patties - greasy foods. Keilbasa...
You will also find a little booze goes a LONG way when LC'ing.