Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Water and whooshing (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=103191)

wordlady Mon, May-05-03 10:37

Water and whooshing

I was thinking on the things I can do to encourage a "whoosh". As I was thinking back, I realized that every major whoosh I ever had, (including the WW days) was in a period of time when I was REALLY working on drinking tons of water.

Here's my question.

Have you EVER had a whoosh when you weren't drinking lots and lots of water?

lucyr Mon, May-05-03 10:48

I will do a trial for you (and me!). I have been stalled for weeks, and last week managed to get down nearly 2lbs. This morning, welcome back those 2lbs. (what is the opposite of LOL?)

SOOOO I am fit to be tied, as they say and have decided to do something different this week. Your idea is a very good one, as water is the thing I find hardest.

I will drink the system dry for a week, and let you know what happens. OK??

All the best

Iowagirl Mon, May-05-03 12:32

How much is a lot of water? I'm afraid I'm in need of a catheter as it is!

jules420 Mon, May-05-03 12:37

? whoosh

I may be a bit silly, but what is "whooshing" I have never heard that word in NZ. Just curious. :roll: :wave:

wordlady Mon, May-05-03 12:38

For me, I suppose lots of water is about 7 - 8 of my big 16 oz glasses a day.

Lucy, that's so cool!!! I'll look forward to hearing from you. :-)
And hey, throw your scale in the closet!! I gain 3 pounds (water) just from eating hot dogs!!!

I'm a militaristic supporter of the jeans-once-a-month club!!

Iowagirl Mon, May-05-03 12:42

whoosh refers to a sudden weight loss, like "I woke up and whoosh! down 3 pounds from yesterday!" The whoosh fairy apparently has no idea where I live.

Groggy60 Mon, May-05-03 13:07

Don't drink too much water, it can cause a condition known as "water intoxication."

Quote:
The official name for this condition is hyponatremia. The symptoms generally mirror those of dehydration (apathy, confusion, nausea, and fatigue), although some individuals show no symptoms at all. If untreated, hyponatremia can lead to coma and even death.

Quote:
For instance, it has become one of the most common causes of serious heat illness in the Grand Canyon. Some people hiking the canyon drink large amounts of water and do not eat enough food to provide for electrolyte (salt, potassium) replacement and energy. Fears of dehydration has led to a mistaken belief that the safe thing to do is to drink as much and as often as possible. But even with drinking water, there can be too much of a good thing.

Rosebud Mon, May-05-03 15:31

Quote:
Don't drink too much water, it can cause a condition known as "water intoxication."

Yes, that is true, BUT... if you are not hiking the Grand Canyon or running a marathon and don't have such large requirements for electrolyte replacement, you can drink a pretty large amount!

For water drinking under normal domestic circumstances to cause hyponatraemia, you would have to drink upwards of 50 litres or so! :o

Natrushka, one of our most valued and effective members, used to drink 10 litres daily (I don't know how much she drinks currently as she no longer keeps a journal).
I usually drink around 4 to 5 litres, but recently upped my intake to 5 to 6 L with good results.

Fluid retention is not caused by water drinking alone. Most commonly it is caused by taking in excess sodium (the "Na" in hyponatraemia). Various drugs such as the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can also cause fluid retention.

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Katana Tue, May-06-03 12:04

Also, don't forget - we're supposed to be eating plenty, and taking nutritional supplements (at least on Atkins), so that loss should not be a problem.

jules420 Tue, May-06-03 14:09

whooshing just love it

Thanks for the answer on "whooshing" Sad too say I dont think the whoosh fairy knows were I live either but just realised I dont think I am taking in enough water so I am going to up my fuild intake and maybe then I might start a bit of whooshing. I just love that word. Thanks. ;) :wave:

wordlady Wed, May-07-03 06:11

Thank you :-)
And my question remains to all of you out there that have had "whooshes".

Have you ever had a whoosh when you WEREN'T drinking lots of water?

Linnea Wed, May-07-03 09:46

Whoooosh

When I first started this WOE 2 years ago... I lost a lot of weight all at once. And I was horrible at drinking water.

Whoooooooshed big time... but I barely drank any water.

I do drink tonnes of water now (now that I went binging for the last year and gained my weight back). The Whoosh fairy hasn't been back yet... but I certainly feel better when I drink lots.

Linnea

jaddles Wed, May-07-03 19:05

When I'm really busy at work I forget to drink my water (end eat :o ) and I often experience whooshes. I dont know if that is because I dont eat as much or if it is nervous energy or what though :daze:

bigguyjonc Wed, May-07-03 19:07

I have lost weight when i wasn't drinking alot of water but i always lose more when i try hard to drink alot of water. I am currently drinking 3-4 litres a day. I want to drink 5.

Jon :doah:

Scarlet Thu, May-08-03 07:08

How many litres of water should I be drinking? I am 140lbs.