Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   [BFL] startin bfl monday. lo carb, low fat, low carb and fat..aaaaa! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=169601)

Sparker34 Fri, Feb-27-04 12:40

startin bfl monday. lo carb, low fat, low carb and fat..aaaaa!

Ok, so here's my confusion. I did bfl 2 years ago..and it was all low fat and high protien. I later switched to low carb eating, which i prefer much more to low fat...but I can't figure out if I should stick to low carb with bfl work outs, or go the whole bfl rout. The problem is, when i eat higher fat, low carb, I'm not hungry enough to eat 3 hours later. So can BFL really have good enough results if you're eating low carb and only 3 x a day? I can sqeeze in 4 times.
Part of me feels like if i'm gonna do it, i should go full on bfl..food and all. But the other part of me wants to stick with cream in my coffe and real mayo in my tuna.
What do you guys think? HEeeeelp

nawchem Fri, Feb-27-04 13:54

Figure out what is most important to you and follow that, but make sure you have enough protein. Keep the meals small and you will be hungry enough to eat 6. I felt like I was hungry all the time the first few days and I'm not doing weight loss. I think doing the bfl plan is fine too although it will mean giving up some of your tasty fat.

Good Luck!

For me:
I eat 6 meals, 3 are meat or nuts and the other 3 I add veges and fruit to. I don't eat processed foods or add fat to anything. When I eat much more than 50 carbs per day I start craving candy and will blow it bad enough to undo my work.

Sunski Sat, Feb-28-04 09:57

In "Eating for Life", Bill Phillips says that he doesn't recommend trying to combine his way of eating and low-carb -- just pick one or the other. So unless your LC plan recommends 6 meals per day, I'd think that you could just ignore that part of BFL. Treat it as an all or nothing proposition.

Arnie_g Sat, Feb-28-04 13:05

I think many of us have had success combining BFL and low-carb to varying degrees. If you look in the sticky at the top of the forum it has a lot of links that you may find helpful.

Arnie

nawchem Sat, Feb-28-04 13:32

From my reading on the bfl links and Lyle MacDonald site, I gather the 6 meals per day is helpful because its giving you a constant supply of amino acids for muscle repair, eating smaller more frequent meals will lower insulin levels and help stabilize blood sugar, possibly improve fatloss. As a hypoglycemic I've found eating more frequently very positive in terms of blood sugar control.

Read the links and personalizing to your body type will probably lead to the best result for you.

DABIGDAWG Sat, Feb-28-04 20:51

BFLC Im with ya !!

Hello
I would like to join this post being that I was starting BFLC anyway and would luv 2 have some company! Good luck and good losing!!

Sparker34 Sun, Feb-29-04 10:24

so you are still doing atkins then?

nawchem Mon, Mar-01-04 13:46

Sparker and Dabigdawg
Hope you're having a good first day!

I consider myself to just be lowcarb.

Under the BFL links at the top there is a section called LC and BFL that Nat wrote that is really good.

good luck!

Sparker34 Mon, Mar-01-04 14:09

my bigest confussion is really about the kind of food I should bye. If you say you eat low carb, does that mean you chose the regular cottage cheese instead of the low fat?
I need to go grocery shopping and I cannot for the life of me decided if I should go the low fat yogurt, milk, mayo rout, or stick with the high fat ones.

nawchem Tue, Mar-02-04 15:08

sparker,
I guess you've got to decide how important lowcarb is to your general health. If you are committed to lowcarb and feel better on that you could start bfl that way and after the first 4 weeks evaluate your results. Some people feel awful exercising hard without many carbs. As long as I supplement my electrolytes I feel fantastic as a lowcarber and haven't noticed that I need any carbs to run just fine. I eat 30-50 carbs per day. If you aren't really committed to lowcarb give the bfl method 4 weeks and then evaluate.

HTH you.