Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Nutrition & Supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Low C leads to sugar cravings? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=140251)

cs_carver Tue, Sep-30-03 11:17

Low C leads to sugar cravings?

Don't know that I've seen this on the list. Just heard it from a vitamin-savvy doctor. I've suspected low C for a while because I've been bruising; didn't up my dose because I already had this appointment scheduled. Noticed sugar cravings I haven't had in a while.

She said both symptoms indicated that my 3g C just weren't enough.

CASD Wed, Oct-01-03 17:20

3g carbs ?? are you crazy? :) your brain needs that amount just to function..what about your body?? you need to keep it at around 20g per day even Atkins doesn't recommend you stay at that level for ever

alaskaman Wed, Oct-01-03 17:44

What is the C you're talking about? grams of carb? Vitamin C? I don't see how you get actually be getting only 3 g carbos, too many incidental carbs in things like cheese, cream etc. ???? Bill

tofi Wed, Oct-01-03 18:24

I think she means Vitamin C. A low level of that can cause bruising. Which is why LCers should take extra. 3 grams is somewhat high. But if this doctor has tested you and knows about vitamins, then go with his advice.

Suggestion to members: ask questions rather than jumping to assumptions. :lol:

CASD Wed, Oct-01-03 18:33

okay..sorry
I assumed since she said low "C" leads to sugar cravings she meant carbs...because that does also

korry1977 Wed, Oct-01-03 18:38

What is your past medical Hx, if you want to talk about it.... just trying to figure out why you are on 3 grams of Vitamin C (Please correct me if I am wrong)

Thanks
Korry

Rosebud Wed, Oct-01-03 18:38

Just FYI CASD, the brain needs no carbs at all to function. It functions very well indeed on ketones. Some of our organs do require glucose, but our bodies very efficiently manufacture any glucose required from protein, by a process called gluconeogenesis.

Not that I'm recommending that anyone tries to eat without carbs. :exclm: Vegies contain many nutrients which contribute greatly to a healthy lifestyle. :thup:

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

cs_carver Thu, Oct-02-03 15:46

Step away for a day...

Wow... this IS the supplements list; sorry that vitamin C was not as obvious as I thought it would be.

Depending on who you talk to, 3g Vitamin C may even be low. Doctor said she takes 9g herself. What's recommended in terms of RDA is just enough to keep your teeth from falling out. Lots of support for much higher doses, depending on one's vitamin philosophy.

I used to take 2 g, then started bruising, upped it to 3g and then after a month or two, started bruising again. MD suggests it might also be a lack of bioflavenoids, which aren't a big part of the veggies I eat. (gave up the oranges for the duration.) Suspect also that my now-discontinued habit of taking fiber pills with vitamins may be playing a role in the problem.

But from the responses, I'm guessing no-one else has heard of a connection between low VITAMIN C and a craving for sugar? Apparently, back when we had the enzyme to make our own, we made it from carbs = sugar. I have NOT been craving sugar for most of my time on LC, and just recently started lusting after my neighbor's slice of pie, for cookies, for bread... at about the same time the bruising started. Seems logical there might be a connection.

The more I follow this WOE, the more I discover that most of my cravings are physiologically, rather than psychologically, generated. Feedback appreciated, but may be off the net all weekend and unable to supply any more information from this end.

Rosebud Thu, Oct-02-03 15:53

Hi CS,

No, I haven't heard of any connection between low Vitamin C and sugar craving.
Quote:
Suspect also that my now-discontinued habit of taking fiber pills with vitamins may be playing a role in the problem.

I'm quite sure you are right! Vitamins need to be taken either 1 hour before or two hours after a fibre supp, as fibre is known to interfere with absorption of some drugs and supps.

I suspect that once you remove the fibre from the equation, 3g of C should be sufficient to stop your bruising. However, taking more won't hurt either. ;)

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose: