Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Salami Question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=111252)

mammoth Wed, Jun-04-03 18:50

Salami Question

Hiya All:

Got myself confused here...

I want Salami...Italian Hard Salami...made by Carrando.
I called them and they sent me the nutrition info on it...but not the ingredients list.

Now...it shows
Carbs: 0
Fiber: 0
Sugars:0

So...does this really mean NO SUGAR and is OK to eat. or can there still be hidden sugars of some kind?

Thanks all///I should know this but am in a "coma" right now!
Best to all;
jake

Lisa N Wed, Jun-04-03 19:00

Hi Jake!

Any chance that you can list the ingredients?

Just for reference, I love salami but don't eat it frequently because of the high sodium content and the nitrates that it usually contains. It's still a yummy treat, though. :D

Shellyf34 Wed, Jun-04-03 19:01

I love hard salami and cheese. I always have it around but I get the lowered sodium version. Too much salt in the regular salami for me (especially coupled with cheese).

It is not a staple though, just a treat. I roll up slices with cream cheese in the middle.

~Shelly

mammoth Wed, Jun-04-03 19:34

Full Nutrient list they sent me:

Carrando Hard Salami:
Per 1 oz.

Cal: 120
Fat: 10g
Sat Fat: 3.5
Cholesterol: 25
Sodium: 480mg
Protein: 5g
Carbs: 0
Fiber: 0
Sugars: 0
Vitamin A: 0
Vit C: 0
Iron: 2% of RDA

Thats what they sent me...nice of them!

Salami with creamcheese rolled inside is GREAT! I love it! Wife and I are going shopping tomorrow...and I will look for low sodium also...

I just need a SALAMI FIX!

Best to all;
Jake

red1cutie Wed, Jun-04-03 19:39

Hey Jake! How come they did not tell you the ingredients? That's just half the information you need. All the salamis that I have looked at have some stuff we aren't supposed to have. Hold off until you get that info.

Peace
red

mammoth Wed, Jun-04-03 19:55

Hiya Red:
I was going to check on the label at the store...see what in the ingredients list before I buy it.

I don't know why they did not send me that info as requested...

I will make sure it is "safe" before I open my jaws and insert into my mouth :)

I am already making my own breakfast sausage...NO salt or sugar and I control what goes in, which is NICE.

I am going to make Italian sausage next week...again, no Salt or sugars...

I suppose, I could make salami after that :)

Maybe I should just open a meat store at this point! LOL!

Best to all;
Jake

red1cutie Wed, Jun-04-03 20:00

lol...You should Jake! I would buy from you Jake the butcher..lol.

I saw your recipe for the sausages. I will try to make them on the weekend.

Peace
red

mammoth Wed, Jun-04-03 20:56

Red; Make sure you get a good BLEND of pork and fat in that sausage. Most grocery stroes sell the 90% lean ground pork...which is too lean. It does not stay tohgether for patties...and it does not have enough fat for your diet.

Ask at the butcher counter if they can give you the same "blend" they use for their breakfast sausage. If they cannot...go to a butcher shop and get it.

I get mine locally at a butcher shop. Is very easy that way...and all you do is add in the spices.

My next breakfast sausage batch , I am going to try adding several pkts of splenda and see if it sweetens it enough to "taste".

You can add in 2-3 tablespoons of water also to ease mixing.

Is just like making meatloaf as to "technique".
Enjoy!
Best wishes;
jake

gracecame Wed, Jun-04-03 23:16

Jake, You are doing FANTASTIC btw!

Salami? hmmm......I'd need the ingredients. watch for "smoke" "hydrogenated anything" etc.......all "other" names for MSG which will bloat you and make you retain water.

You might want to do a search on msg......monosodium glutamate, it's hidden under so many names I get dizzy keeping track.......can even be "artifical flavors"!

Myself, I like to cook roasts and save the leftovers or eat canned fish (salmon). That way I know I'm getting 100% whatever.