Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Awful feeling in my stomach? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=150341)

Sandy40 Sat, Nov-22-03 07:21

Awful feeling in my stomach?

Has anyone else felt a "burning" sensation just below your rib cage? It feels like it's just where my stomach starts. I'm also bloated, just in that area...... Don't feel sick, but this "feeling" keeps me awake at night. It's almost like there is too much of something in there????? Any ideas?

MaryToU Sat, Nov-22-03 07:29

Sounds somewhat like heartburn.

tofi Sat, Nov-22-03 07:37

Try taking one of the over-the-counter acid reflux remedies for a few days. There are some that last for 9 hours. If that helps but it comes back when you stop the medicine, then do consult your doctor. It could be Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease which can be serious if not treated.

Other things to do: avoid spicy foods, don't eat too close to bedtime, elevate the head of your bed (put a piece of wood under the top feet) and sleep up on pillows. The acid can't flow up from the stomach.

Are you under stress right now? That can be part of it.

Search the net for information on GERD or acid reflux.

Your doctor is the best choice for a source of advice. Hope you feel better soon.

Sandy40 Sat, Nov-22-03 07:38

With the amount of water I drink, I don't understand how that could be. But, I am getting older and notice that somethings I use to hear complaints about are now happening to me. Is this a typical L/C complaint?
I'll look into what I can take, and see if that's the problem. Any suggestions, I don't picture Tums being L/C....

Lisa N Sat, Nov-22-03 07:50

Quote:
Is this a typical L/C complaint?

Many people report that GERD and heartburn get better on low carb. I know my DH has certainly seen a huge improvement in that area. Before low carb, Maalox and Pepcid were his best buddies. Now he never needs them unless he eats high carb for a day or two (like holidays).
Tums do have sugar in them, but you can try some of the over the counter (OTC) medications such as Pepcid, Zantac or Prilosec OTC. I believe of all of those, Pepcid is the fastest acting and any sugar or starch present in the capsules would be minimal.
Sometimes drinking a lot of water can stimulate excess acid production. How much water are you drinking? Other things that can irritate are caffeine, alcohol, carbonated beverages and many spices.
As Tofi advised, your best source of information regarding what's causing this and how best to treat it is your doctor, so do see them if this continues. :)

Sandy40 Sat, Nov-22-03 08:05

Well I'll try something otc for the weekend. If you guys think it's a medical thing, I suppose I'll run up and see the Dr Monday.

I love this place, thanks for the help!!!!!