Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Flaxseed question... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=268669)

Lolita24 Mon, Oct-03-05 13:33

Flaxseed question...

:wave: Is it better to eat whole or ground flaxseed when using them for their "cleansing" properties?

JennLynnRN Mon, Oct-03-05 14:16

I've read that ground flaxseed is best. Also, the golden variety is better than the 'original' kind. I also have a question though....are there carbs in flaxseed? My guess would be no cause its not digested at all (and hence its purpose), but I just wanted to be sure.

egnue Mon, Oct-03-05 14:22

Me too, I just bought some for the first time.

notskinny Mon, Oct-03-05 15:32

Okay, never used it. Seen it. Read some about it. Why are you guys using it? What are the benefits? TIA.

hdyhouse Mon, Oct-03-05 15:53

There are carbs in flaxseed. However, the net amount is small. For example, 1 Tbls of flaxseed meal has 2.02 grams of carb with 1.9 grams of fiber for .12 net carbs per tablespoon. The carb count on the whole seeds is only slightly higher, 2.97 total with 2.1 fiber. I use flaxseed meal in a hot cereal mix I make. You can also make muffins and other baked goods with it. Because of the high fiber content, it is a good source of roughage to help maintain regularity.

atmasters Mon, Oct-03-05 17:57

it is good to see you back JennLynnRN

maximus76 Mon, Oct-03-05 20:01

If you start taking flaxseed could it trigger your "carb craving" since it has small amount of carbs? I saw flaxseeds and they look like sunflower seeds (that could be addictive once you start eating them).

Lisa N Mon, Oct-03-05 20:14

Quote:
I saw flaxseeds and they look like sunflower seeds

Are you sure those were flax seeds? The flax seeds I'm familiar with are way smaller than a sunflower seed; more the size of a sesame seed.
Could they trigger cravings? Anything's possible, I suppose, but I don't believe I've ever seen a post that eating flax seeds had triggered carb cravings.
Ground flax seed is a very healthy addition once you begin climbing the carb ladder; high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. :thup: Just take care not to overheat them since doing so destroys the omega-3. :)

mary_low Tue, Oct-04-05 09:12

Read the section on extra help.
http://atkins.com/Archive/2003/4/9-571070.html
I mix 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds with a little hot water in a bowl. I eat it with a spoon and drink a big glass of water afterwards.
I tried mixing it in a glass of cold water, but it was really hard to drink.
Mary

DanceGrrrl Tue, Oct-04-05 09:28

I use flaxseed (2 tbls) everyday on salads or if I want to add some texture to my two morning eggs I mix it in some low carb ketchup (sp?) and it adds a yummy filling property to my breakfast. I have never had any carb cravings from it at all, I love it!

MammaC Tue, Oct-04-05 11:05

I had flax pancakes for breakfast this morning. They were really good. I have read that you need to use ground flax because you don't get the same benefits, or really any benefit from the whole seeds. Also, if you are hypothyroid you need to eat them cooked only. For instance in pancakes, muffins, or bread, or hot cereal, and not sprinkled on a salad or in yogart.

To answer the question about triggering cravings. No, they should not cause cravings. They are just about pure fiber. You have to realize, too, that all carbs don't cause cravings. Atkins is not a no carb diet, it is a low carb diet.

BKM Tue, Oct-04-05 13:26

I buy whole flaxseeds and grind them in a coffee grinder, store them in a tupperware container in the freezer, then add 18g to my morning cereal -- or, when eating something else (like eggs) I mix the ground flaxseeds with a bit of cinnamon and 1 pkt of Splenda, then some water -- nuke for a minute and stir -- actually quite tasty....

Ayustar Tue, Oct-04-05 13:31

I notice, if I make a bowl of cereal with it, the ground kind *I add alot of butter and cinnamon, lol* that it is very filling and I usually can't get through a whole bowl after feeling way too full. I barely ever eat the stuff, I don't think it gives me cravings...meat and eggs give me cravings, well, anything gives me cravings lol I wouldn't be able to narrow it down.

You have to make sure you store the ground meal in the freezer or fridge or it goes rancid on you VERY fast.

runnr Tue, Oct-04-05 15:25

Quote:
They were really good. I have read that you need to use ground flax because you don't get the same benefits, or really any benefit from the whole seeds

Can someone explain to me how this is possible?

BKM Tue, Oct-04-05 15:34

apparently you don't break the whole flaxseed down when you chew it (too small) and it goes through your system whole and doesn't digest.....