Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Yuck! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=65916)

MarisaSSS Mon, Oct-14-02 17:31

Yuck!

I'll be honest, it seems like I have been dieting forever. Granted this is the first diet I can actually live with but it's only been a week and i can't take another egg or hamburger :thdown: . I also find myself getting fuller faster. Is there a certain amount of carbs you need per meal :q: I found these low carb bars that have 21 grams of protein and 2 grams of carbs. Does that count as a meal? I don't really find myself craving carbs (its too early) but for once in my obese life I'm not that hungry! Does anyone have any ideas for a quick bite that has nothing to do with eggs or burgers?

Your help is greatly appreciated ;)

Zuleikaa Mon, Oct-14-02 17:54

Watch out for the carb bars. They cause some people to stall and some to crave sugars. They should be fine once a day. Try a little variety in your diet. Fish, lamb, ribs. The same foods can get boring fast. Also increase your veggies.

tofi Mon, Oct-14-02 18:10

Hi there Marissa. That lack of hunger or fast full feeling is one of the greatest side effects of eating an LC way. The body does NOT really need carbs at all. But the veggies and salad help with bulk and fiber and contribute to smooth and efficient bowel function. And they also have valuable nutrients and phytochemicals that help our bodies run well.

Zuleikaa is right: avoid the bars and even the shakes on Induction. They contain glycerine and/or sugar alcohols which make some people stall or lose slower. Eat real food and enjoy the best you can afford. Steak, chicken, seafood, fish, veggies with butter, romaine lettuce with real olive oil for a dressing.

Follow the plan in whichever book you have chosen and increase the carbs as they recommend. Also remember, that if you are doing Atkins Induction, it's only for 2 weeks and then you branch out of the strict list to add interesting things. Perhaps being rather bored with food for 2 weeks is the secret key into lasting and effective weight loss. I can pay that price.

If you have been trying low fat and low cal diets for a long while, your loss may be slow for a while. Your body will be grabbing all the protein it can to make repairs to muscles and tissues - it may have been short of protein for a long time, so the scales will drop slowly but your clothes could get looser at the same weight.

I hope all goes well for you.

:wave:

MarisaSSS Wed, Oct-16-02 19:52

Thanks so much for your advice. Those bars tasted terrible anyways. And your right whats two weeks.

Lisa N Wed, Oct-16-02 20:33

Marisa...

You don't have to limit yourself to eggs and hamburgers on induction. There's also a wide variety of pork, fish and chicken you can have, too. Have you paid a visit to the recipes forum yet? Another good link might also be Karen's "Jazzing up induction". Click the "Low carb tips" link located on the orange bar at the very top of the page.
Variety helps keep you from getting bored with your food choices and therefore more likely to eat something off limits. Veggies help add variety too (as well as that much-needed fiber). :thup: