Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   6 weeks & need encouragement!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=167796)

virgilia41 Wed, Feb-18-04 14:31

6 weeks & need encouragement!!

Started Jan 7 2004.

Losing slowly!! 8 lbs in 6 wks. Not so bad I guess but every lb seems a struggle that my body does not want to let go of. Last year LC'd but never did much more than a few days a week, enough not to gain more. Decided to REALLY try without cheating and have found it a challenge. I like lite beer and a few on the weekends make it harder for me to lose.

Sometimes I am suspecious of Adkins, that not being so hungry (less calories), and drinking H20 are the keys to success. That if I want to lose I have to also eat less. Stay around 20 gms a day or less, not huge quantites of food, no caffine, sugar, starch, etc, maybe a bit too much ranch dressing on small salad. Love water.

Part of the problem being that I go to TOPS meetings and they run a program that is basically LF which I have to disagree with?

This site has helped me tremendously for looking at tips and tweaking ways that really work.

If anyone wishes to engourage me, I could use it! Cattle prodding me to exercise is acceptable too!! Tell me your success story!!

PS Also a light (HA) smoker. Does this slow me down?

loopyloosy Wed, Feb-18-04 14:53

Hello fellow Midwesterner,

I just wanted to mention that I'm also a smoker (hack hack), and I've wanted to quit forever, but, well, I'm working on the eating habits and then the smoking ones...One habit at a time...I think they can add to your stress level, which can indeed affect your weight.

loopyloosy Wed, Feb-18-04 14:53

You can do it!

toning_up Wed, Feb-18-04 15:00

I'm doing a KISS induction...very basic, no cheats and I've lost 5 lbs in 6 weeks. My thyroid function is fine. I have conquered a little yeast thing I had going. So I've just about knocked out all the reasons one might lose slowly. I'm just a slow loser and have to accept that.

But I remind myself how well I feel on this plan and given that, there is really no reasons to stop eating like this and many reasons to contniue. So giving it up is not on my mind.

It will come. Have faith, have patience

virgilia41 Wed, Feb-18-04 15:13

Family wants my food!!

Thank you all.

I think it is hard to accept that I will be a slow loser when you hear so many success stories. Thanks for the encouragement, it is what I need to stick with it!

Has anyone else noticed that your family suddenly wants to eat all of your LC food?!! I figure they have all these other choices...go eat some popcorn or a piece of bread. :)

Good way to reel them into it!

madpiano Wed, Feb-18-04 15:53

sucess is not to lose faster than someone else, success is losing the weight in the first place (no matter how slow) and then to keep it off.

What's the rush ? The slower you lose, the less likely you are to put it back on.

Good luck
Mad

virgilia41 Wed, Feb-18-04 16:08

You're right! Losing is losing.

It is harder than I thought, mostly planning what to eat instead of just grabbing something. I really enjoy eating out when someone else makes the salad / steak.

I find it strange that I am still pretty hungary after an hour of eating. It is controllable but annoying.

Any advice?

tabookitty Wed, Feb-18-04 16:14

I'm new here and also frustrated. My husband finally had to get on this plan because he would not stay out of my food! He loses weight so easily. I had lost about 6 lbs but now am up again with no change in diet/hormonal swings. I am still "weighting" to pee away some fat! I feel alot better, and I bet you do too. We must never give up! :-)

PKV Wed, Feb-18-04 16:20

The only time I was still hungry is if I had caffeine with the meal (diet cokes). So if that isn't your problem I try to drink a big glass of water to subside the hunger pains so far it has worked for me. I too am struggling in a stall and that is why I cut out the diet cokes. Good luck and keep us posted.

Strudel182 Wed, Feb-18-04 16:58

Sounds like you may be eating Frankenfoods if others are "getting into" your food. And how can anyone be suspicious that cutting out sugar is bad for you...

Anyway, around our place, we strive for fresh and unprocessed foods. Calls for planning, which can be a pain, but it is worth it. Means things are going well, however I have a feeling some nuts have slowed me up lately. Oh well. It's a long term thing. And I've not been perfect... it's just that time of year, and "stick-withit-ness" can be in short supply. Maybe if we all share, we'll have more and be the biggest losers in the long run!

Good luck.

Dawna Wed, Feb-18-04 20:43

A slower weight loss is an advantage in that there will be less loose skin to cope with. :yay: