Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What other positive changes have you noticed? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=163550)

Bonzlee Fri, Jan-30-04 17:19

What other positive changes have you noticed?

I know that at this point in time the most positive changes we all look for are weight loss and improved health. But yesterday I realized that there are other positive changes that have nothing to do with my body. Some are kind of funny, but very realistic. Here are the changes I've noticed:

1) My car stays cleaner longer because I no longer eat a lot of junk in it.

2) My total cost of food has gone down because I don't have soy lattes from Starbucks each day and I don't buy junk food anymore.

3) Our pantry is half empty because it's not filled with all the junk food I used to buy.

4) My husband (who is a perfect body weight) is eating healthier, which should help his high cholesterol.

5) Two people in my family have started Atkins after seeing my results. They both need to lose a lot of weight (more than 100 lbs.) and I'm so happy they're taking this seriously. More importantly, they seem to be dedicated and are doing really well with it.

What changes have you noticed since starting Atkins?
Bonnie

pd Rydia Fri, Jan-30-04 17:32

I've been able to completely come off my antidepressants to no ill-effect, thanks to natural antidepressants found in the high protein diet (which is a good thing, since I recently lost health insurance >_>;; ).

mb99 Fri, Jan-30-04 18:19

Hmmm, fun question!

1. I have discovered a new interest - cooking! I love to cook, and read far too many cooking magazines... (I am becoming my mother!!)

2. I budget better. By needing to control my carb intake, I always need to make sure I have enough food about. THis means my weekly shopping list actually lasts a week, and is worked out to be how much I can afford to spend... rather then accidently buying way too much prepackaged junk.

3. I feel more confident about exercise. The fact I run on the roads - I would have never started that before becuase 'people would be looking at me'...

4. Very Social Weeks don't turn into Very Expensive Weeks. I don't let those cappuchinos and beers collect on a night out.. and that makes my wallet happier!

lakookoo Fri, Jan-30-04 18:20

Since starting Atkins, I have noticed that I have a lot more energy. I actually RAN a bit while walking the dog the other day. I sleep really well (except for those early-morning bathroom visits thanks to all that water). The food tastes good, and I don't miss bread, or potatoes.

But I do miss Vector cereal (sob!) Maybe eventually I'll be able to come up with some sort of substitute (nuts/grains)... but even if I don't, I won't give in. I was a carb addict, and I guess that this is going to be a lifetime plan.

Good thing I like eggs.... :rolleyes:

RD64 Fri, Jan-30-04 19:03

aches and pains have disappeared, Don't have any cravings for food and feel great

StarOrchid Fri, Jan-30-04 19:26

I have also weaned myself off of antidepressants, and am losing faster now than 2 yrs ago when I was on atkins WITH the antidepressant. I don't get the mood swings that I used to get.

FrecklFluf Fri, Jan-30-04 20:41

My knees have (for the most part) stopped complaining about stairs. My fingernails are coming in much thicker. (In a month or so the new growth should be all the way out!) I don't get so tired in the afternoon.

csj Fri, Jan-30-04 21:09

1. Don't have to take anti-inflamatory medication for arthritis pain.
2. Save money on lunches
3. DH is eating more healthy foods because of the success I have experienced.
4. Spend a bit more at grocery store but FAR LESS at Quick Trip/Kwik Stop/McDonalds
5. Enjoy preparing salads -- what beautiful colors and tastes!
6. Have learned to cook a bit
7. And most important: DON'T THINK ABOUT FOOD ALL THE TIME!!!!

Jeanne Sch Fri, Jan-30-04 21:40

-My Hair is Shiny
-My skin is Shiny
-My nails are long and don't chip much
-My mood swings are a thing of the past
-My TOM is much easier
-My cat approves of my meals (esp. the chicken)
-More Energy
-Feel normal
-Fridge & pantry are "shaping" up
-I'm losing weight
-Feel more confident
-Feel more balanced
-No more food cravings
-Know I will get to goal weight!!! :)
-Know I can come here to communicate with wonderful people!!!!!! :) :) :)

Dean4Prez Sat, Jan-31-04 01:31

I stopped snoring soon after I started this WOE, which I did not expect until I was closer to my goal weight.

black57 Sat, Jan-31-04 09:15

Wow, everyone has had such impressove results. I have a friend who is on an antidepressant and has been eating a little on the side of low carb. She is afraid of a low carb comittment.

1. I no longer have vicious migraines which I beleived were part of my hypoglycemia cymptoms.

2. No more itchy skin I blamed on hypo symptoms.

3. Not hungry all the time, the shakiness has vanished.

4. Symptoms of hypoglycemia are gone.

5. I have had bloodwork that has revealed ideal levels of lipids and blood glucose. Iron is good, potassium is good etc.

6. Family is eating healthier rather if the want to or not.

7. I finally learned how to make chees cake!!!!!

8. longer hair. I have been having some great hair days.

cmcole Sat, Jan-31-04 09:40

I'll have to ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4Prez
I stopped snoring soon after I started this WOE, which I did not expect until I was closer to my goal weight.

My husband hasn't said that I've snored in quite some time - and usually he mentions the sawmill being opened at night - so perhaps it's true for me, too.

I'll have to tell my co-worker - we've been discussing snoring stopping techniques, because he is the snorer in his family, and sometimes it really bothers his wife.

There are surgical procedures, but neither of us want to go to that extreme. However, if LC works - perhaps that's where the solution lies. Shoot - I won't be able to pawn off my daughter's baking if he goes LC, too :lol:

patigayle Sat, Jan-31-04 10:08

I've got a lot more time through the day for doing important things. I used to spend a lot of time wondering what I was going to eat next and then feeling guilty about what I had eaten.........love this WOE!!!!

Pati

Wenzday Sat, Jan-31-04 15:07

I am less depressed...off the drugs and feelign mostly good. I spend less money frivolessly and I just feel better about pretty much everything.

edited to add...I was on antidepressants not DRUGS... :lol: sorry!

adkpam Sat, Jan-31-04 17:50

My skin, instead of being mostly good, is mostly GREAT!

I no longer beg candy from my co-workers after lunch (I thought it would ward off the nap I was craving, LOL)

I actually cook now, instead of just reconstituting.

Everyone tells me I look younger!