Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Ketosis Question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=103953)

peabo Thu, May-08-03 09:21

Ketosis Question

:q: How can you tell if you are in ketosis if you do not have or use the testing strips. Thanks to all who may reply.

Kaillean Thu, May-08-03 10:06

Hi again, Peabo!

You can usually tell you're in ketosis because you'll have a different taste in your mouth. It's kind of metallic. Some people compare it to the taste of blood - but for me it's not quite that strong. Some people also report bad breath (ask your wife ;) ) but again this hasn't been a problem for me because I drink a ton of water.

You'll also probably notice your pee smells different. It's quite strong and noticeable. Not really a bad smell just different.

You should also experience appetite supression -- the best part! In the early days this might even translate into a bit of nausea or aversion to food, but this soon disappears.

I'm sure others will chime in with some other telltale signs.

Talon Thu, May-08-03 10:06

If you are losing weight and eating low carb - you are in ketosis.
If you have a "metalic" taste in your mouth, you are in ketosis.

Darlene63 Thu, May-08-03 11:57

Wow!

Wow, Kaillean! That would explain a lot! I do have the strips and have been in ketosis for a week today! :D I do drink a lot of water, too. Anyway, while I haven't noticed anything in the breath or strong smelling urine (although I can smell the vitamins!) I have noticed for the past few days a tendancy to nausea in the afternoon. Afternoon, only. And I'm tired and don't really feel like eating during that time, either. Mornings and evenings are great, though.

Does all that match up with what you were saying? I hope so! :daze: That would mean everything is normal and should pass.

Kaillean Thu, May-08-03 12:16

Hi Darlene,

A lot of people do seem to report some mild nausea or food aversion during the first stages.

If you're pretty sure you're not sick or that there's nothing else going on health-wise, ketosis probably explains your pm feelings. I only had a few days like this, usually in the morning when I was faced with more eggs! :(

It's important to try and eat a bit during these times. Remember not to go more than six waking hours without eating something, even if it's small.

The nausea will probably pass soon - but the appetite supression stays! YAY!

Darlene63 Thu, May-08-03 13:13

Thanks! It seems to be much better today. I've had more energy and have been playing with my new toy...a Swiffer hand duster! How marvelous!!! :p And I just ate lunch (a little late) and no nausea!!! Maybe today I'll turn a corner! ;)

I appreciate the affirmation! :daze: