Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Starving - wonder if there is a connection (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=37354)

sailfish Sat, Mar-16-02 18:27

Starving - wonder if there is a connection

I have realized that my appetite increases substatially around once a month - about the time of my ovulation. It just hit me that that might be the reason. Yesterday and today I cannot get enough to eat. The rest of the month - i have to FORCE myself to eat!!!! Does anyone else experience this?

ldypgmr Sat, Mar-16-02 23:21

Sorry guys, another women's thingy

Hi Sailfish:

Yes, I have experienced it all my life. Except that I ate no matter what. Now you are right, I force myself to eat 3 weeks of the month and the 4th I can't seem to get enough. My leg cramps increase during that week as well.

I know more than you wanted to know.

Dee

:wave:

missbetsy Sun, Mar-17-02 09:35

I totally concur, I am insatiable during ovulation. Maybe its our bodies telling us to fatten up and get ready for babies. Unfortunately, I only listen to the fatten up part!

Betsy

sailfish Sun, Mar-17-02 10:30

I tell you - the best thing about this board is knowing that you are not the only one going through these things! I get terrible calf cramps too - and they do seem to increase during this time! After three days of not being able to eat enough - it seems like today i'm back to forcing myself to eat!

SusanD Sun, Mar-17-02 11:25

It is so true...

I find myself eating as if there is no tomorrow. Usually I just chalk it up to another eating binge and failure. It takes me a while to figure it out each month. I am glad to hear this is a normal reaction to ovulation.

Okanagan Sun, Mar-17-02 12:00

leg cramps & cravings

I get those cravings like crazy as well. (and manage to eat quite well the rest of the month as well, so don't have to remind myelf to eat..ever...)
I find that calcium & magnesium seem to really help with the cravings & the leg cramps too...but I usually forget to take them. Hmmm...

VickiP Sun, Mar-17-02 16:25

yeah, I totally agree. I'm like outa control sometimes at that time! and I also get bad cramps in the back of my thigh...Ugh! Men have no idea!

mcgregor Sun, Mar-17-02 21:01

I am exactly the same way also. I find that I crave all of the foods that I am not supposed to have. This seems to make me quite unbearable to live with at this time. Thank goodness it only seems to happen 1 week out of the 4. I am sure that my husband couldn't stand me if it lasted much longer.

Deb

ldypgmr Sun, Mar-17-02 22:06

Cycle

Ok Ladies...my cycle has really lightened up since LC'ing. In fact normally I gain 3 - 5 pounds of water weight a couple of days prior to starting. This time I lost 5 pounds.

Go figure!!!

Dee

fishburg Mon, Mar-18-02 08:55

I too get extra hungry during PMS. I have been able to control my carb intake until this past weekend. I am the Girl Scout Cookie mom not only for my daughters troop but also the service unit. I have been carring about 20 cases of cookies in the back of my van for about two weeks delivering and selling them without cheating once. This weekend I broke down, I just wanted to have one or two cookies, I got a box out of the back of the van and placed them in the passanger seat. At a traffic light I opened the box. By the end of the day I had eaten the whole box of cookies!!! :( WOW, I can not believe I did that!! And guess what started today!!

I am now working at keeping this from being the end of my diet!! I am restarting induction.

:roll:

ldypgmr Mon, Mar-18-02 19:15

Girl Scout Cookies and that time of month

Fishburg I feel for you. Just get back on the WOE and you will be fine. We are not all perfect.

I have 20 boxes of those wonderfully expensive, yet good Girl Scout cookies in my freezer. I love to support the troups. And I go places where I can take the cookies for others to eat. This month I started craving sugar two days before the start of my cycle. I have candy and cookies all over this house and at work. My friends love sweets, and it makes me feel stronger that the sweets are here and I am not eating them.

I keep some of the Atkin candy bars in my freezer. When I just have to have some chocolate, I will eat one of them. I generally have about 1 every week or so. Just a thought for the next time you think you need something.

Come on girl, you can do this. :bhug:

Dee