Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Shoulda Stuck To Abstinence (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=87244)

vbrowne Mon, Feb-17-03 07:45

Shoulda Stuck To Abstinence

Hi, well, we went out for Valentine's on Friday night - It was so nice to get out and have someone serve my dinner. Anyway, I though, what the heck, I've been so good, haven't had alcohol in months and am sticking to everything including exercise. I decided to have a few glasses of red wine - not only did I have a two day headache because of this, I retained so much water, it appeared as I had gained about 6 lbs. (which I know it wasn't real weight) - I felt bloated and aweful. Anyway, today, my weight is back to 160, my head feels normal again and the bloat is gone - boy, big price to pay for a couple of drinkies! Back to non-alcoholic bevies from now on! Just thought I'd share

Vikki

Teuthis Mon, Feb-17-03 07:55

Wine

One glass of red wine would probably not have had any deleterious effects on you. You need to learn how to control your desires for food and alcohol. I am in a similar situation, and since I have started Atkins I have had to make a conscious decision to never exceed moderation. Don't get discouraged over it. It's just an example of something you need to control if you are going to lose weight and keep it off. Only a little bump in the road:)

Some of my techiques are to only sip the wine; small sips. Take small portions of food with each bite. Never get a mouthful; and eat slowly. Either talk to someone or watch TV while you are eating; or work a crossword puzzle. It helps you eat more slowly. And listen to that little voice that tells you when you have had enough physically. Don't let the psychological cravings overpower that little voice. And above all remember your goal.

Good Luck!

KoKo Mon, Feb-17-03 09:31

Don't feel too bad, you're not the only one who wined and dined on V. Day. I also had wine and a headache the next day along with an ENORMOUS APPETITE :( to make it worse, I had said that very morning that I would not give in and have wine. But I did :confused: I am thinking that we did not want to disapoint our loved ones by not fully enjoying the day :p

vbrowne Mon, Feb-17-03 09:46

My appetite was enormous too - thank goodness I have nothing "BAD" in the house - I munched on cheese, shrimps and macadami nuts most of the day (all in the allowed moderation). We have a "snow pitch" function this weekend and no way am I slipping.

The mistake I made with the wine is that I started at the bar, then proceeded with dinner - when there is a next time, I'll sip with dinner - one glass.

Vikki

Carrollee Mon, Feb-17-03 11:19

Alcohol and lo carb....sometimes not a good match.

About a month ago I went out with friends and had a couple of drinks. I had a slow comfortable screw against the wall ----- Sloe gin, southern comfort, OJ with a float of galliano (sp?) and a morphine drip -- Amaretto, Butter shots with a float of 151 rum (served as a shooter). Knocked my socks clean off.

Woke up the next morning feeling much like you did.

DDMariana Mon, Feb-17-03 11:25

Carollee...holy moly...I don't think I've ever wanted a cocktail so much in my life as I do right now!!

The just never sounded so appealing for some reason... ;)

:wave: